'Tune' or Sell?

GreatOne01
12-04-2002, 11:13 PM
I have a Jetta Mr2 with a pretty crappy paintjob. (Sanded spots no rust). I need to replace the whole exhaust system. I'm only 16 and just getting into cars.

I was hoping to make a 'cool' car like some of those on this website. My question is:

Should I drive my jetta as is, and sell when I have enough money for a new civic or golf or, replace exhaust get new paintjob and start 'tuning' the jetta?

:frog: Thanks in advance. I wanna get some input. :D

DrKyleFletcher
12-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Don't get a civic, there are cheaper alternatives with actual potential. Nissan makes quite a few cheap compact cars that people race.
To name a few, 240sx, primera (infiniti g20), 200sx, altima, etc.
I only say this because I like to refer as many people to Nissan as possible, my family has three:) (95 maxima 95 altima and 98 240sx).
Look through the Nissan forum, you'll probably like what you see.

YogsVR4
12-06-2002, 03:04 PM
Considering your age - you'll have to figure out what your budget is, but I'd hazzard a guess that you should just do your work on your current car. Take some classes and get involved with some experienced tuners if possible and you can move onto a different car in a few years.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

GreatOne01
12-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks for advice guys... I need to replace exhaust asap, and I think that's a good place to do my first install. Should be a good project.:bandit:

hybridsol
12-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by DrKyleFletcher
Don't get a civic, there are cheaper alternatives with actual potential.
then why should they "not get one"?

GreatOne01
12-07-2002, 08:05 PM
I'v heard they're overpriced. But don't ask me. I'm a newbie remember? :D

DrKyleFletcher
12-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Civics ARE overpriced, then again so are new Celicas and ESPECIALLY the MR2 Spyder. Just because it's a convertible and MR (even though it's 130 hp) they can sell it for 30,000?! THAT IS BULLCRAP! I said there are "cheaper alternatives with actual potential" (and for those who do not understand that line, it means "stuff that costs less with more power and/or room for power". Civics are the gayest car from Japan, that includes the CRX and Del Sol (they are civics too). In fact, anything with a Civic chassis is a gay car (CR-V is a modified Civic chassis).

:)

DrKyleFletcher
12-08-2002, 12:42 PM
P.S. No one (should) race a FWD car. There should be no FWD circuits. That is retarded. That is all.

kris
12-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Civics ARE overpriced, then again so are new Celicas and ESPECIALLY the MR2 Spyder. Just because it's a convertible and MR (even though it's 130 hp) they can sell it for 30,000?! THAT IS BULLCRAP! I said there are "cheaper alternatives with actual potential" (and for those who do not understand that line, it means "stuff that costs less with more power and/or room for power". Civics are the gayest car from Japan, that includes the CRX and Del Sol (they are civics too). In fact, anything with a Civic chassis is a gay car (CR-V is a modified Civic chassis).

Dont know where you get your info. But my Infiniti cost way more than my Civic.

Get what you want, not what others say. Research all options, then find what fits your need, and wants.

hybridsol
12-08-2002, 07:49 PM

I have a 4 grand crx here..... she says your a liar.:D I misread the top post I thought you said "they are" instead of "there are". Sorry about the misunderstanding, but your evaluation of the civic/crx/delsol (note:you have just insulted both of the cars I currently own.) I seriously doubt you have done reserch in this area, or have come to this conclusion due to expreience? enlighten me why are civics gay? Why are they overpriced? How about you do a car comparison and I'll follow it up with a comparison of my own? sound like a good Idea?:)

GreatOne01
12-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by hybridsol

I have a 4 grand crx here..... she says your a liar.:D I misread the top post I thought you said "they are" instead of "there are". Sorry about the misunderstanding, but your evaluation of the civic/crx/delsol (note:you have just insulted both of the cars I currently own.) I seriously doubt you have done reserch in this area, or have come to this conclusion due to expreience? enlighten me why are civics gay? Why are they overpriced? How about you do a car comparison and I'll follow it up with a comparison of my own? sound like a good Idea?:)

I think what he's getting at is that Civic's are the popular choice, and there are always those that hate the popular ones. I speak from no experience, but what I've heard, is that Civic's are great.

What's the best tuner car I can get under 5000$ CDN?

THE4TH
12-11-2002, 09:47 AM
nevermind all that .. you've got an 88.. get rid of it.. you mod that thing and you'll kill it.. lol .. get something a little newer that you know will last a long time to invest money into ...

GreatOne01
12-13-2002, 11:08 AM
That's what I was thinking, because I need to put 2K just to get it into decent condition. I'll start looking. current budge = 4k$ CDN

dLocke
12-18-2002, 04:50 PM
P.S. No one (should) race a FWD car. There should be no FWD circuits. That is retarded. That is all.

Its true that FWD cars have a disadvantage in weight distribution and drive wheels, but that doesn't mean they can't be competitive. Acura Integra's face off against BMW's all the time in SCCA races. And they're competitive! Of course, there's all kinds of rules in those classes to make it fair but I remeber at one point the Integra's had 50-100 lb handicap of dead weight added to the cars.

FWD is the worse for drag racing. The weight distribution forces all the weight to the rear of the car and that's why I believe its stupid to make drag civics unless your the type of person who just loves a challenge.

If you want to tune a car decide now what you want it to be: Fast, cool looking, great handling, or a combination of all of these. Decide what's most important in your book before plopping down cash on a car with little potential.

Jetts
12-18-2002, 04:57 PM
why does it always turn into a fight when someone asks for some advice all they want is some ideas not a fight over shit

SkunkSI
12-19-2002, 08:45 PM
b/c assholes like the above () like to honda bash like its there fucking job. Ppl like hybridsol like to defend us.

Jetts
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
thx for the explination i just dont understand why they do it
i mean it is a car not a life and death situation come on people why cant we be nice now i c why there is always war

hybridsol
12-20-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by 96Hatch

i mean it is a car not a life and death situation come on people why cant we be nice
I agree with you 96Hatch, yet I disagree with the views being stated. But I will refrain from responding to the above slander. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, my apolagies for contributing to the fighting in this thread.

Jetts
12-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by hybridsol

I, my apolagies contributing to the fighting in this thread.

thx sol

GreatOne01
12-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Thus back to the topic. :D

I decided to tune a bit, and wait til I get more money. :D

Add your comment to this topic!