Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Cabrio Hard to start

smity70
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
After reading most every post since forever I have not found an answer to my question and would like to throw it out there. I have a 1990 gas cabrio, 5 speed. I noted a change in how fast it fires after turning over, when freezing temperatures, winter mornings in Idaho, exist it fires on the 1st to 2nd crank. Once the engine warms and/or the ambient temperature it cranks and cranks and about the point I am going to give up it fires. It make no sense to me but the cranking is reduced (in time to ignition) slightly if the accelerator is depressed completely. At times a sudden accelaration of throttle just as you are turning the ignition off seems to help but not consistently. It also smells wet/flodded once it does fire. It also seems to idle very high sometimes and can actually idle at 1800 - 2000 after start up for 10 or so minutes. I changed plugs and thought the problem began then so I tried another plug without avail. I have had it to the only authorized repair shop here and another not authorized shop, they have found plenty other things wrong but can't nail this one down. The car always fires eventually but its frustrating the crap out of me. I have some mechanical knowledge but any advice would be welcomed.
smity70

Add your comment to this topic!