Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Cavalier No Headlights

pashadowops
11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I have a 90 Cavalier that the head and parking lights don't come on. They worked fine this morning then I heard a strange buzzing noise coming from what appeared to be under the hood and BAM no lights. The directionals, brake and backup lights all work fine. The dash lights also don't come on.

As long as I'm asking for help, there's another problem that I encountered with this car. At some point the dome light refused to turn off after the doors were closed and the Fasten seatbelt light is constantly on.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for a 1990 Cav I sure would apreciate it or if anyone has encountered these issues and has resolved them that would be great too.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:runaround: :runaround: :runaround:

BTW 1990 Cavalier 2.2L 4 dr Sedan

pashadowops
11-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Fixed it!!!!!! :naughty: :naughty:

Here's the deal if anyone else has this problem. I bought a Haynes manual because it has wiring diagrams. They're pretty useful for individual circuits, however they are not very complete by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, once I determined that the fuses were in good working order I tested to see if I was getting power to the fuse block for those particular circuits (Headlights, Parking Lights and dash lights). I was not so I traced the wires out to the harness connetor in the firewall. I had continuity at both sides of the connector so I moved on into the engine compartment. I traced the red power wire to a fusable link at the started. That's where my problem was. The wire had corroded and broken. A trip to the auto parts store for a replacement fusable link and a spool of 16 AWG wire and I'm back in business. The last thing I need to do is replace the wire loom that was all dry rotted but now I can move onto the next problem which is the dome light won't go out. I hear a relay clicking under the dash when I insert the 20amp fuse in the fuse block. I'll bet when I find it and replace it that problem will go away too.:popcorn:

muff34
11-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Good for You for finding your fix and taking the time too post results. Two thumbs up

Add your comment to this topic!