Down-trading vehicles?

batesrt
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
hi, anyone know if it's possible (or advisable) to down-trade? i've got a car worth about $17,000 now and i'd like to trade it in for something around $9,000 (need the money more than the car). do dealers do this or would i have to sell it private party? Thanks!

dave92cherokee
11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Dealer's aren't in the habit of giving money out they prefer to trade up instead. Best bet either way is to sell it to a private party as you'll get more for it. You can sell it to a dealer but they won't give you the same that a private party would.

sickcallawayc12
11-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, dealers do business to make money.

batesrt
11-20-2007, 09:00 AM
yeah but in the long run wouldn't they be making more money? by trading me the $9k car and then eventually selling the $17k car to someone for prbly $19k?

Ray paulsen
11-20-2007, 09:43 AM
hi, anyone know if it's possible (or advisable) to down-trade? i've got a car worth about $17,000 now and i'd like to trade it in for something around $9,000 (need the money more than the car). do dealers do this or would i have to sell it private party? Thanks!

It dont matter to dealership if you trade up or down, if you trade down dealer will cut you a cheque for the difference, dealer will lien check, if any lien's showing that amount will be subtracted from your funds.

As for selling privately VS trade lets use figures you provided as an example.

Trade !!! with your trade being a higher value amount compared to what your buying there will be no taxes to pay, the dealer will cut you a cheque for $8000. " they may deduct from that amount transfer fees or administration fees " thats an area subject to how good you were negotiating the final numbers.

selling private !!! Yes you will most likely sell for more than what dealer offered you, but keep in mind whatever car your now buying you will have to pay taxes, the key here is, will the extra amount you gained selling private cover the taxes your now having to pay and still show a profit compared to trading, in many cases it's not worth the hassle.

Add your comment to this topic!