Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 camaro fuel pump

blackheart2358
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a 91 rs camaro v6 3.1

so last night when getting ready to go home the car started I backed out of my parking spot and as I pushed in the clutch to shift into first the car died and wouldn't restart , engine turns just fine (proper speed )

I noticed that I don't hear the fuel pump winding up so I think thats the problem
I had replaced the pump aprox 3 years ago so I'm surprised to have another one go bad this fast

looking at a couple posts here they talk about relays under the hood
I can't find any mention of these type of relays in my auto manual

does a 91 rs 3.1 have under hood relays and where would they be located

also when trying to use a wire to test codes I only get the code 12 which I understand signifies that it is in a diagnostic mode . now it dosen't reveal any codes it only flashes the 12 code continuously
is there a good way to test the ecm computer to see if the problem lies there

any help and advice would be appreciated
I realy don't want to have to pull the tank again only to find the problem is something else

thanks , John

wrightz28
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi John, & welcome :wave:

The relays are 'normally' on the driver's side of the firewall between the brake M/C and strut tower.

Unless you constantly run around with a 1/4 tank of gas or less, you may have received a low quality pump a few years ago.

Remember not to over look the obvkous, fuses (especially the one for the f/p up by the battery) :thumbsup:

blackheart2358
11-21-2007, 01:58 PM
having done it once I was in no mood to do another tank removal
esp when the driveway where the car was is at an angle that may not be safe with the car that high off the ground on jackstands

I just took it to the shop

thanks for the reply though

chevyrulespops
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
there should be a red wire sticking out somewhere near these relays with a female connector I believe and it isnt connected to anything. If you place 12 volts thru that wire it should energize the fuel pump to eliminate that possibility...good luck

Add your comment to this topic!