Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

used Prius from dealer - how much should I offer

redd
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Our local Toyota dealer has a 2006 Prius in great condition with low mileage. I'd like to make an offer, but have never tried to bargain with a car dealer before. Do they generally allow a certain percentage of the asking price for haggling?

The asking price is $19,500. What would be the lowest price I should ask and still be taken seriously?

Ray paulsen
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
A little homework on your part will get you value for your bucks, if I was in your shoes with the knowleage I have required my first step would be to check autotrader.com, if in Canada .ca . type in 2006 Prius and allow a 100 mile distance, you will most likely find a few listed with around same miles that should give you a good idea if asking price is fair for your area.

As for haggling go to this website http://www.usedcartips.org/ and navigate to " How Dealers Negotiate " and " How You Negotiate " I dont expect you to become an expert over night but you will pick up a few pointers by study... good luck

SUMMARY... After study the link provided, offer $2000. less and do the walk.

sickcallawayc12
11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know the exact values from KBB, but they usually go for around 17k-18k used.

redd
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice and the link!

Add your comment to this topic!