Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Z24 - 157000 miles

staci_sharp
11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Pulled into my parking lot (apartment), pulled into a parking space, threw my car into park, turned my car off, took my foot off the brake and watched my car slowly roll backwards. Looked at the gear shift it is in Park but the Dashboard says it is STILL IN DRIVE!! I can get my key out when the gear shift is in Park(It is automatic so whatever the thing is called), tried to move my gear shift, OK No problem BUT on the dash it still says DRIVE. I can put my gear shift into Park, and my keys will come out. I have the parking brake on but what in the HAY happened???

I just spent $630 getting all sort sof stuff done on my brakes but this is rediculous. I cannot afford a new car right now. I like my car. The was no funny noise, no leaking, nothing. Just WHAMMO!! Just look again and still no fluid under the car. (this is about 1 hour later or more).

Help me please (and tell me it is not going to cost alot)!!

-Staci

I read somewhere on here that sounded similar about the cables something... ERGH!! Guys (Friends who are car knowledgeable, we will see how much...) are coming over tomorrow to take a look....

jakegday
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah it does kinda sound like it could be a cable, what exactly happens when you go to start it? does it start like its in park, or does it do nothing like its in drive??

staci_sharp
11-16-2007, 08:13 PM
It is like it died while in drive. It does nothing. The key will turn completely but there is no sound. Lights (dashboard), headlights, radio, etc all start up (which still means nothing, but...) Car acts like it is stuck in Drive BUT when I move the gear shift to Park I can turn my key to get it out. If I move the gear shift to any other location key will not come out. My Wheel is straight and tires are straight as well if that matters.

Sorry, I forgot to add that while I can move the gear shift up and down (Park to Drive to whatever) the dashboard light never leaves Drive. AND the gear shift slides REALLY smoothly, not like before, you can no longer fell it go from gear to gear.

JStumpalump150
11-16-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah, its the cable. the key comes out when you put the shift lever into park cuz that has nothing to do with the cable, just the lever. take the cover that goes around the shift lever off by pulling it up with a little force, it will just pop out and when thats off see if you can see anything just kinda dangling around not attached to anything. most likely you can fix it, its just a matter of popping that cover off to see inside.

jakegday
11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
yeah, its the cable.
i second that, definetely

if you cant fix your own brakes i highly doubt you'll be able to fix your own shift cable, mines a manual and it costed me $300 to have a shop do it, yours is an auto so i would GUESS it would be a little cheaper

staci_sharp
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
No way in Gods green earth I can fix my own brakes and this too I doubt I will even try BUT the guys coming over DO have the knowledge and if they cannot do it then they will know someone who can give me a break on it (I hope)!! Thank you both! I can now go to sleep not freaking out :D

JStumpalump150
11-16-2007, 10:27 PM
well if it came disconected at the shift lever it is easily fixed and can be done in like 5 minutes, if it came disconnected somewhere other than the shift lever then yeah it will cost some time and money.

staci_sharp
11-17-2007, 06:57 PM
OK Here is the update...

It was a loose cable :D UNDER the hood. My friend fixed, kinda. The rubber piece inside the end of the cable. So by the time I got to the dealer they had closed (parts department). so I wait until Monday and meanwhile the cable is being attached to the metal piece with small hair rubber bands...

So far so good. I wonder though, How dangerous is this??

Add your comment to this topic!