Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passat battery drain

easilybaffled
11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a 2001 Passat 1.8.
For the last few weeks the battery has started to get repeatedly drained; iat first it lasted a week of normal use before having to take out the battery and recharge, I've now changed to a new battery but the drain is getting worse. Now it lasts only 24 hours before the battery is totally discharged.

I've checked no lights are burning (e.g. boot/trunk light), unplugged everything not directly related to the car moving from the fusebox (central locking, heating, radio etc) but it is still discharging. I've taken it to the garage, they tell me the alternator is charging correctly.

I don't know where to look next..

Thanks in Advance.

diesel_uk
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I have a 2001 Passat 1.8.
For the last few weeks the battery has started to get repeatedly drained; iat first it lasted a week of normal use before having to take out the battery and recharge, I've now changed to a new battery but the drain is getting worse. Now it lasts only 24 hours before the battery is totally discharged.

I've checked no lights are burning (e.g. boot/trunk light), unplugged everything not directly related to the car moving from the fusebox (central locking, heating, radio etc) but it is still discharging. I've taken it to the garage, they tell me the alternator is charging correctly.

I don't know where to look next..

Thanks in Advance.

Have you checked your alternator? ( this charges you battery) also the belts etc.

turbovwgti
02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Do you have heated seats. I have seen the swithes go bad leaving the heating elements on at all times. see if they are warm. Note: this condition is not a recall, however there is a recall for seat heaters of a diff. problem

qwerty100
11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I have similar of not exactly the same problem on a 2001 Passat TDI Sport.

If I leave the car for around >48 hours it simply wont start, due to a flat battery.

If you then JumpStart the car, The battery will charge fine, and the other week this was tested by the AA, and there was around 20A charging current immediately after it was jump started. After 10mins running, they ran a battery test, (Disable fuel pump and then crank the engine) and this passed with flying colours, so there is no issue with the alternator charging the battery.

Battery has been replaced a while back (i've had this problem for ages), but still same problem.

Lights checked, (under door, interior, boot, glove box) but all go off ok.

I've tried removing fuses 1 by one, shut door, lock, read current drawn, always around 260mA - Also removed stereo, cd changer unplugged etc.

I remove ALL the fuses, and there is still a 240mA drain on the battery??

Any suggestions,

What other components are connected directly to the battery, alternator/starter?? could these in some way be causing the drain?

Any help welcome

Thanks

veedubmechanic
11-30-2008, 08:51 PM
do you have a 6disk changer in the back?? try unplugging that. Also the amp is a very common issue for drain. Unplug both connectors and see if its still draining.

qwerty100
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
do you have a 6disk changer in the back?? try unplugging that. Also the amp is a very common issue for drain. Unplug both connectors and see if its still draining.

I did do but that was also unplugged and removed completely.

veedubmechanic
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
both the amp and the 6-disk changer?also you need to check the amp draw with the alarm set after 20 seconds (for the car to go into sleep mode)

260ma is a small draw from a module ( lights are usually 2-4a)

When all the doors and hood a and trunk are closed and you lock and set the alarm does the light in the driver door blink fast 5 times or just blink normally? IF it blinks fast than one of the alarm sensors is malfunctioning (hood latch, trunk latch, door latch, radio, ign switch)
Most common is the hood latch (you can unplug it the wire goes from the hood latch down behind the metal bar between the fans and over to the driver side headlamp area and put a paper clip in the connector ends to short it together and trick the alarm into thinking the hood is always closed )

Add your comment to this topic!