Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4L60E trans fluid help

yjjeep43
11-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey guys. I transplanted a '96 4.3 with 4L60E trans into a Jeep Wrangler. When I purchased the motor and trans, they were both drained completely. After the installation, I added an external trans cooler and topped it off. I have been driving it around for a while now (maybe a couple thousand miles) and descided to check the trans fluid level. To my surprise, it wasn't even showing on the dipstick after warming up. There are no puddles in my usual parking spot, or leaks in any of the lines. Again, I'm not using a radiotor with integrated cooler so I know its not escaping there. My question is am I doing something wrong here? I check the level with the engine running and trans in park after driving it about 10 minutes. It seems to shift fine but the stick doesn't lie. After I shut the engine off and check the level, the fluid is above the hot marks on the stick. Should I continue to add fluid until it shows the proper level on the dipstick. And one more note, the ground is level.

16th hippy
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
would add until it is in the cold area of dipstick, then drive a bit more and check again...repeat until at correct level. reason to fill to cold level is trans fluid is so freaking elastic it ain't funny. all this assuming you are using the dipstick that came on the tranny and not a jeep one.

old_master
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Check the transfer case fluid level for being overfull. If the rear seal leaks on the transmission, fluid will run into the transfer case.

Add your comment to this topic!