Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My GF's tranny problem

JoeShmoe
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I know its not a DSM but.....my girl has a 98 Ford Contour Sport with a 2.5 V6 (a joke.) Anyway, her car is auto and when he car accelerates the shift from 1st to 2nd gear kicks like a fucking horse! 2nd to 3rd is still pretty bad and 3rd to 4th is still pretty noticeable. Any idea as to what this might be? The shift points are still the same, its just a really bad jerking.

SilvrEclipse
11-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Check fluid level in the tranny. Change the tranny fluid and filter.

JoeShmoe
11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
She took it to the shop and I believe they changed her tranny fluid, as far as the filter I'm not sure (probably not.)

***EDIT***

Her filter was not changed, damn that means i have to drain it again.

SilvrEclipse
11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I would think they should have changed it. Maybe it doesn't have one, I dont really know.

vanilla gorilla
11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Transmission are so touchy. I hate auto trannys. Anyways, They may not have changed the filter. Anytime I have changed tranny fluid I change the filter to. But some shops probably won't change the filter, but I don't blame them. If a transmission is old and the fluid and filter have never been changed....you don't want to change them, unless you start to have problems like you did. If your transmission is old but works fine and you change the filter and oil....its a good chance it won't ever work right again. Its a toss up. Whoever worked on yours may not have even took the pan off the bottom, just pumped the fluid out and put fresh fluid in.

Some places are real anal about that. My friend is a bus mechanic and the pan bolts on the bus's are tamper proof. So if a bus is under warranty and the tranny goes out, the first thing the manufacturer will do is look at the pan bolts to see if they have been removed to change the filter, if they have then the warranty is canceled and you are SOL.

But about your problem, I'm not sure, I'd change the filter and oil again myself and see what happens.

Thor06
11-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I think its just a sign of a worn out tranny, and if its got less than like 150k+ on it, its just not been maintained like it should have. I'm not good with auto trannies, but that is about what I have gathered.

JoeShmoe
11-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't know if it has a filter or not but I'll look at it this weekend. Solenoids maybe? I blew some solenoids on my car once because i was using the O/D, i wasn't pulling anyhing but i just liked the extra power of having it off. Anyway i paid $2k to get them replaced!

vanilla gorilla
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
2K, yeah I think you got ripped son.

JoeShmoe
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
They bent me over and gave it to me.:banghead:

That was before i really got into cars though, you can bet our ass i'm not gonna pay for any more expensive fixes if i can do it myself.

JoeShmoe
11-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Just got done reading some other forums, looks like it probabably is the turbine shaft speed sensor. I also read that the tranny has to be yanked out in order to replace this deffective part:frown:

Anyone ever do tis before on nay car?

Add your comment to this topic!