Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do any of you sell your models??

MaukaRunner
12-03-2002, 02:12 PM
I noticed some threads which mention that someone is making a model for someone else or has sold models.

Just wondering what is the going rate for a custom made model???

For me the fun is in the making of a model. I also have limited space for displaying so eventially I have to get rid of some to make space for new ones.

Hell if someone is willing to pay me to do what I like to do then I would be game.

If you don't want to post here then PM me, I would like to hear peoples opinions on the subject. Thanks!

primera man
12-03-2002, 02:28 PM
I have build severial kits for people but not anymore. People dont seem to know the amount ot time and effort that goes into building a kit for someone. I was charging $4NZD a hour which is a very very cheap rate. (the very minium wage in NZ is around $8) The last kit i done for someone i spent over 30hours which i charged him $150NZD...The person done a huge moan about it. Was not costing him anything apart from the kit

MaukaRunner
12-03-2002, 02:40 PM
what I don't understand.:confused:

I guess Pman is right, it seems that the mentality is that these are toys which kids can build but they don't realize that it takes skill and time to do it right.

Yet they are willing to pay big bucks for a machine made die cast which looks more like a toy than a well built model.

I was thinking of charging people to buy the paint and supplies to do the model. Maybe a little more for a good lunch or dinner.

RyanGiorgio
12-03-2002, 02:48 PM
can't say i've sold any yet.

Murco
12-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Be very cautious about doing comissioned models. Like P-man said, most have no comprehension of the work involved and will be happier buying a die-cast. I built 4 models for people and they couldn't understand that this is a part-time hobby and that it takes a while. When you find someone who gets what we do and is willing to shell out the dough for it they will be even less patient.
The last model I built on commission is the 2nd yellow Camaro ZL1 in the gallery, I charged him $3,500.00 US.
He is, undoubtedly, a rare buyer and wants more of his real car collection built. He is patient (and rich) enough to work with my schedule and my priorities.
If 3.5K sounds like a lot, factor in custom-made photo-etch, decals, and machine work along with 210 hours of labor. He got a bargain!

TheSyndicate
12-03-2002, 03:56 PM
$3,500?!!?!?!!!?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MODELS YOU CAN BUY WITH THAT

(passes out)

:THUMP!:

Lownslow
12-03-2002, 04:00 PM
whe i buid to sell my going rate on US made models is 30(out of the box) to 50 USD(with options) on imports is 60 USD(with options)

primera man
12-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
$3,500?!!?!?!!!?!?!?

(passes out)

:eek: :eek: :eek: ....MAKE ROOM FOR THE PMAN

THUMP

:p

RallyRaider
12-03-2002, 06:19 PM
I’ve never sold any of my models but have had a problem valuing them recently!

I’m in the armed forces so move around the country quite a bit. On my last move earlier in the year the removalists lost three of my models. Three 1/20th F1 cars. I’d valued them at AUS$250 each, which in retrospect seems undervalued.

However do you think the insurance company was happy to just pay out on this? No, they view scale models as toys. They wanted to just pay me just the cost of the kit! According to them they couldn’t compensate me for my time :mad:

Anyway I wasn’t going to put up with that and emailed a few builders on the net for quotes. Unsurprisingly all of them were for significantly more than the $250 I’d valued them at. After hounding the insurance company with phonecalls, faxes and a lot of persistence they finally relented and agreed to pay me the original $250 each.

I probably should have held out for more :p

Phil

sugarcaddy
12-03-2002, 09:49 PM
I have sold one 1/24 scale kit for $150 US. I did a lot of detail in it and felt like the person getting it was getting it at a bargin. Now on the other hand I have sold and traded countless number of 1/64 scale diecast Hot Wheel customs on Ebay and at trade shows. These usually go for about $20-50 dollars a piece.

Scott

hirofkd
12-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
$3,500?!!?!?!!!?!?!?
(passes out)
Only a few, if it's discontinued Pocher kits. :)

I usually charge US$150 for a simple curbside, and it's still too cheap for the work involved. I used to sell detailed F1 kits at 25000 yen, so that's about $200. Still, it's too low for the time, so I take it as a small favor to my friends.

Guido
12-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by hirofkd

Only a few, if it's discontinued Pocher kits. :)

I usually charge US$150 for a simple curbside, and it's still too cheap for the work involved. I used to sell detailed F1 kits at 25000 yen, so that's about $200. Still, it's too low for the time, so I take it as a small favor to my friends.

Same thing for me. I'll only build for friends nowadyas for the same kind of money and that's 1 kit every one or two years or so.

Best thing to do is to agree on a price and timeframe before you even get the kit and accessories you need. When that's sorted you should be fine, unless the customer is a real pain, that is. But making a living out of it, I guess not, unless you end up in a world of rich and famous who don't care spending money.

tonioseven
12-04-2002, 09:29 AM
not anymore!!! Nobody can appreciate what we put into them unless they've tried to build their own! I would rather give one away as a gift than sell one but if I get the right kind of offer I would most certainly reconsider;) Until that happens, I'm happiest just building for myself and to show the world my passion for my hobby!:sun: :sun: :sun:

MaukaRunner
12-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Does the prices you guys state include the cost of the model and the supplies?

The cost of some of the models are well into the $20+ range and paint and the other supplies can add up too.

Do you guys supply cases too?

JE123
12-04-2002, 12:30 PM
I don't think that I could ever sell a model that I put a lot of time into building. It would take a large amount of money before I would sell one.:cool:

bluebb6
12-05-2002, 12:27 AM
I made a RC car shell of a 5th gen Honda Prelude that looked just like my car. I posted it on a Prelude board and somebody offered to pay me money to make him one just like it but in his Prelude's color. I couldn't come up with a price because I just can't fathom putting a pricetag on so many months of working on it bit by bit.

I ended up declining the offer. One reason was for the lack of time and the other was just I had no idea of how much to charge.

In case anybody's curious here's the car: http://members.shaw.ca/acorr/hpiprelude/

Jonno
12-05-2002, 01:02 AM
I have never made a model for anybody else, free or otherwise. But my nextdoor neighbour has a "rare" bike kit that he wants me to make sooner or later. (He said that he wants me to have a few bikes under my belt first, which is understandable).

Originally posted by primera man

:eek: :eek: :eek: ....MAKE ROOM FOR THE PMAN

THUMP

:p

:hehehe: , STACKS ON!!!!

:hehe:

THUMP

twoninety
12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Haven't been asked yet. But if I were asked, judging from the amount of work that potentially goes into the kit, I wouldn't charge less that S$200 for one, excluding the kit and supplies.

I did do one for free for a good friend's bd once. Took me nearly a month. But he was speechless. :)

bibendumz
12-05-2002, 03:35 AM
well...in my country...i found out that almost all people are not willing to pay even S$50 which is about less than US$30 for a built stock model car kit. They want real cheap, real good and real nice...if not they rather go without it or try to build themselves and make a big mess out of it or just buy die-cast cars.....:flamer:

Add your comment to this topic!