Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

New starter for LX470 1998

KarNovice
11-11-2007, 03:23 PM
My LX470 would not start occassionally. Took it to the dealer and he replaced the battery.

The same problem kept happening and infact it got worse - and now the dealer wants to replace the Starter for $1800. I looked up the price on the internet and a LX470's starter is $200-250. The dealer claims that the starter is tough to get to on LX470 - thats why its so much more expensive.

Anyone have the starter replaced on 470 from a Lexus dealership and know the ball park figure?

Brian R.
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't know the cost, but you can certainly call other mechanics. You have to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter.

I find it hard to believe it would take a professional mechanic at Lexus, with all the tools and experience they have, more than 1 day to change the starter....

erupert
01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Just jumped back in this forum after a couple years. I just did my starter myself ('99 LX470 - 151K miles) in Dec. It's not tough at all. You need the starter and an intake gasket set. If you are mechanically inclined, it's all intuitive. Start at the top with the cover and the intake. The fuel line is a quick disconnect. The only tough bolts to get to are on the back of the block in-between the block and firewall. I did the whole job in about 4 hours.

ps - actually, the hardest part is getting the intake off. You need to stand on a stool to be able to reach into the engine compartment and then lean over and, with BOTH hands, lift off the intake. It's tough because you want to use one hand for balance. Having a buddy around makes it much easier.

Add your comment to this topic!