Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lost keys uina apv 90 3.1

davebarny57
11-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Any advise i have lot my lumina keys i live in the uk will i be able to get the keys cut from the vin no i have entry to the vechile and wher could i get blanks for the keys to be cut and last do you knw how to hot wire it in the mean time :banghead: :wink:
Kind regards

LMP
11-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Copied from http://www.kerrywilson.com/vin.htm

Vin Numbers and Car Thieves

A chain letter circulating claims that you should cover the VIN number of your car so that car thieves can't use it to duplicate your keys and steal your car.

Is it possible that a thief could use the VIN number to get duplicate keys for your car?

Yes, it is possible. However, unless they find a car dealer who is willing to order them without a title or registration plus ID, then the VIN number alone will do them very little good. Now, granted some car dealerships may replace keys without proper ID, but not many. It is also true that there have been some car theft rings that were very sophisticated and could forge a new title that would look legit. Since making a new title that doesn't look suspicious, then showing up in-person at a reputable dealership to trick them into duplicating keys is a bold and risky move, it seems unlikely a thief would want to put himself in such a vulnerable position. If you look into it there are very few examples of car theft rings operating in this way. The latest example, in Atlanta, was targeting high end vehicles at dealerships rather than those in private ownership (presumably because the target vehicle is more likely to be in the same spot for a longer period of time). "

AS for blanks, in last resort, I could mail you blanks from here in Canada....

Here is a diagram for the 3.1 ignition key circuit(my '93 manual but you can also check www.autozone.com)....
www.avigex.ca/xport/ignitionkey31.jpg

so...feeding 12v to pink wire at coil , then using yellow wire at transmission switch F connector
http://www.avigex.ca/xport/transaxleconnector31.jpg

for starting would run the engine.
Another feed either at the power window breagker (convenience center) or at the heater fuse (glove box) would give everything else except wipers and radio.
(this diagram 3.8 but section at right similar)www.avigex.ca/xport/ignitionkeytest.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/convenience_center.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/fusepanel31.jpg

davebarny57
11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi
Once again thank you for your quick reply 25 Stars for your help .i have been amazingly lucky in that having just moved the bloke next door who deals in american restorations had two blanks i will now send for two more
Regards Dave

Add your comment to this topic!