2001 Regal Backup/Reverse lights not working

mikesmith20001
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello,

I am having problems with my 2001 Regal LS backup / reverse lights not comming on.

Checked the bulbs, which are fine.

Could not see any damaged cable (green couloured).

All other lights are fine, altough i have often noticied the license plate bulbs sometimes have a slight red glow after a night journey, even with no keys in the car, but this glow goes away, not sure if that helps with the reverse light problem.

Does anyone know how to find and indentify the relay that looks after the reverse lights?

Any other ideas would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Mike
mikesmith20001@hotmail.com

BNaylor
11-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I believe there is no relay specifically for the backup/reverse lamps. How about the ground black wire at each lamp socket.

I don't recall if there is a fuse specifically for the backup lamps on your model Regal but check the fuses, if any, associated with the backup lights. The lights get 12 volts from the transmission range switch when shifter is in the reverse position.

mikesmith20001
11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello,

Yeap, checked and replaced the fuse just to be sure, had no affect.

Any idea how i can check the transmission range switch?

Thanks,

BNaylor
11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
At the electrical connector with a DMM. Should be 12 volts. Pin F which should be a Light Green wire but check the GM wiring diagram from a FSM for your year Regal to be sure.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/rangeswitch.jpg
Location of transmission range switch at 4T65E autotransaxle

mikesmith20001
11-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the picture BNaylor, much appricated, good to know where that switch is.

After reading your post about the black cable i decided to try and follow the cable a bit more. Found a bunch of cables all taped together. Undid the tape and found a broken black cable. Re-made the connection and lights started working again.

Thanks again bud.

BNaylor
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Wow, glad you found the problem and thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!