Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch Grinding & won't go in Gear - Pleas Help!!!

jodipo
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I just bought this 1966 bug and the old owner just had the clutch adjusted and had no problems. I drive it home and when I stopped and put in reverse it grinded a few type, but I was able to get it in gear - somewhat. When I went to go to first it wouldn't go...It was like all the gears disappeared. When I turn off the car I can usally get it in 1st gear but if I start it, it doesn't seem like it is working properly. I called a mechanic and he said it may be just a cable issue. PLEASE HELP...Kinda bummed about all this, because it has a hot engine, but I can't even drive this thing now.:banghead: :shakehead

Also, does anyone know of a very reliable and honest vw mecanic in North Orange County?

BoatCop
11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I just bought this 1966 bug and the old owner just had the clutch adjusted and had no problems. I drive it home and when I stopped and put in reverse it grinded a few type, but I was able to get it in gear - somewhat. When I went to go to first it wouldn't go...It was like all the gears disappeared. When I turn off the car I can usally get it in 1st gear but if I start it, it doesn't seem like it is working properly. I called a mechanic and he said it may be just a cable issue. PLEASE HELP...Kinda bummed about all this, because it has a hot engine, but I can't even drive this thing now.:banghead: :shakehead

Also, does anyone know of a very reliable and honest vw mecanic in North Orange County?

It sounds like it MAY be a clutch issue. Put it in gear and start it, with the clutch in. Let the clutch out VERY slowly with no gas (or brake). Note where it start's to grab, and if there's any slipping.

If it starts to engage right away with no slippage, then the clutch is good and adjusted properly. It may be the throw-out bearing, or shift rod bushings.

If it starts to engage late with no slippage, then the clutch is good and cable adjustment is off.

If it slips ANYWHERE, clutch is worn.

To see if it's the shift rod, get it started in 1st gear, wind it out to about 2000 RPMs, let off the gas and shift into second without using the clutch. It should slip right in. If it doesn't then the bushings in the shift rod need to be replaced.

kelwa1
11-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I would check the bolts holding your shifter down. If the shifter base is loose and mobile, your gear selection would be iffy, at best. You said the PO had the clutch adjusted and it was fine until you selected reverse. Reverse is kind of a long throw shift, and if the shifter base isnt tight, it'll pull the base back with the shifter. It isnt hard to adjust it and tighten back into the correct position.

Engine Off, just loosen the bolts and place the shifter in first, tighten the bolts until the base wont move, then try all of the gears. Loosen, adjust base, tighten, check, and so on until you get it right for you. Also, check to make sure that your reverse lockout plate isn't on backwards. IIRC, the ramp side should go on the passenger side of the car.

If that isnt it, check all the stuff Boatcop suggested.

smithjohnson
01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
flywheel problem..

Add your comment to this topic!