Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 Villager (Quest) brake wear indicator sound?

tdc1948
11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Lately I've been getting an intermittent squeak noticeable at low speeds. It goes away when brakes are applied, and appears to be unrelated to suspension issues (i.e. bumps or glass-smooth road, still the same). Seems to be coming from a rear wheel.

I'm guessing it's a brake wear indicator telling me my pads are getting thin, but the only other time I've had a car (Buick LeSabre) give out such a warning, the sound was competely different: a fear-inducing metal-on-metal screechy squeal, not a squeak. This is definitely a squeak.

Can anyone confirm that squeak-squeak-squeak is the expected sound of the brake wear indicator doing its job?

dzus
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Rear brakes don't have a wear indicator. The drums may just need removed and cleaning out the brake dust then re-adjust brake shoes. CAUTION: don't breathe the brake dust!

tdc1948
11-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Rear brakes don't have a wear indicator. The drums may just need removed and cleaning out the brake dust then re-adjust brake shoes. CAUTION: don't breathe the brake dust!
Aha - thanks! I'm not sure, of course, that it's actually coming from the rear, but I'll have a look. Does the squeak sound right for that? Or is squeak what would be expected of the front wear indicators?

dzus
11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
The front wear indicators will make a loud squealing noise every time the brakes are applied. Most pads will sqeak some just because of the material there made of.

tdc1948
11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
The front wear indicators will make a loud squealing noise every time the brakes are applied. Most pads will sqeak some just because of the material there made of.
Right. It's not the squeal I'd associate with a wear indicator, and it goes away when brakes are applied. It's also not the usual squeak of pads. Mystery. Seems to be worse when cold. Today it was 60 degrees, and I didn't hear a bit of it.

Add your comment to this topic!