CV/Axle joints on 4WD

11-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey can anyone tell me the proper name for the "axle joints" in my 99 Ram 4WD? Some people refer to them as a CV joint, they constantly click while driving and are located on the axles near each wheel. When 4WD is engaged they make a very loud clicking noise especially when turning. Any idea how much these are or how involved the replacement is? Thanks!

99 Ram 1500 318 4X4

11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Not sure about the Ram... but on my Dakota I had to replace one of the CV axles including joint when I bought it. It wasn't too hard with air tools, and the new axle only cost me a little over 140.00 at NAPA if I remember correctly.

11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
It's bad news. I just spent 15 minutes to get subscribed to answer you. I had identical problem with my '98. Thought the clicking was caused by little stones in the stupid wheel covers that someone put on the truck. Always had something else to do so I waited a couple months to investigate. Took the covers off and the clicking was still there. Best to call them universal joints. Dodge wants them routinely replaced every 30,000 miles. Routine, its maybe $350-500 (NY prices). Wait too long and the axles get egg shaped. Then you need new axles. Two pair. Google to get prices. They are DANA. I paid $600, Dodge wanted $1200. (Thats parts only.) I was laid off and paid $600 to jury rig the universals into my egg shaped axles and got another 7000 miles the first time. So I replaced the universals three times and the axels once in 60,000 miles. (Truck had 40K on it when I bought it).

Add your comment to this topic!