Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Intrpid tranny questions

steveserspecv
11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone I was driving home from class and my Intripid and my car made an odd noise and then went into neutral all by itself and now it wont shift and winds out and if I get up past 45 it kicks itself into neutral. So has anyone eles had this problem? and any qutoes on a new tranny or should I just go for a new car?

Dawezilla
11-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Sounds like the clutch for 2-3 is going or gone. My second gear clutch went before and I could get up to about 10 before it would just whine in neutral. I also never had reverse as that clutch did that too. Something in the upper gears sounds toasted.

Still, you can have the tranny cpu checked at a dealer to see if it is somethign simple. MY thoughts would be to start looking for a replacement transmission.

wafrederick
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
You do not have to go to the dealer to get the codes checked,there is a diagnostic fee which you have to pay.I know the Vetronix scan tool and Snap On scanner can read transmission codes on this transmission.Get the codes checked and check the transmission fluid first.If smells burnt and looks like used engine oil,clutches are gone.If it is pink in color,that is good.You can put in a 1998 and up transmission and it fits.What you have to do is enlarge one of the torque converter bolts drill a new hole on one of the top bellhousing bolt holes on the driver's side.You will have change the valve body too.I have done this 2 or 3 times and the transmission works.It also sounds like something is broken inside.

Add your comment to this topic!