Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery cable keeps getting fried to the alternator.....

rmkfierogt/nm
11-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Two months ago my alternator went out on me and when I took it off to replace it, I noticed that the battery cable that is connected to it was fried on there. I replaced the alternator and re-spliced the wires to get new wire to connect to the alternator. Three days ago the same thing happened again. I drove home from work on the battery and took a look at the alternator when I got home. The cable is fried to the alternator again and I have no idea what the problem is. Is there a short somewhere in the wiring? Is my alternator bad? Has anyone else had this same problem? Please help......:banghead:

Thanks,
rmkfierogt/nm

siber626
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM
No, but I had a peoblem with my 86 fiero se. I was driving home at night and the radar detector, stereo and dash lights started flickering, so I pulled over and everything died. I changed the battery and all was fine for a few days and then it started all over again. I noticed that it only seemed to be while all lights,stereo,ect.. was on. when I shut down these devices my charge indicator went back up. Do you have any suggestions on how to track this down?:screwy:

rmkfierogt/nm
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM
So I finally took my Fiero to the mechanic and the problem was that the distributor needed to be replaced. It was moving in there and shouldnt have been which was causing the short in the alternator. $800.00 later its running great. Everything but the block has now been replaced. Anybody want to buy it??

Add your comment to this topic!