Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Problems

95CamaroRS
11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
I recently bought a 95 camaro in june. Then in july-august i blew the engine up. I looked around for awhile and i found a 98' 3800 Series 2 out of a 98 camaro and i put that It in the car. Its all stock and it is filtered by k&n (oil and Air filters). The 98 has been running good since then. Then the about month ago my car started to miss fire alot so i went to auto-zone and got a scan ran on it and said the #3 cylinder was miss firing. so i got new plugs and put them in. it was running really good then the past week or two it has been starting very rough like miss firing and very hesitant. Once I get in it and start backing out my drive way it is fine but today it would do it every once and awhile going down the road I really noticed it when I started going over the over pass. For the past week its been in the 30's -50's. I dont no wats going on but any suggestion would be appiciated. thanks

wrightz28
11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
When was the fuel fiter replaced last?

89IROC&RS
11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
possible you got some water in the tank. water is more dense than your fuel, you said it would do it in your driveway and going onto an overpass, both put the car at an angle. its possible if you have water, its getting sucked into the fuel pickup. get a fuel treatment from napa or the like, they refer to them as gas dryers, and throw it in there.

also like was stated, a fuel filter is cheap, easy, and alot of times fixes a driveability problem or two.

only other thing i can think of is a wireing harness rubthrough, that intermittantly makes contact and causes a rough running situation. but theres no easy way to check that.

95CamaroRS
11-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your post i never thought of water being in my fuel and i have never changed my fuel filter since i got the car. I also noticed after I go over the over pass and it will miss fire for 2 or 3 miles.

wrightz28
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Either water as 89 suggests (a little fetchy), but possible, clogged filter restricting flow ( bit more probable), or the o-rings on the filter are deteriorating allowing fuek leak/moisture/air ingestion (probable as well and supportive of 89's theory)

95CamaroRS
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
yea them are good suggestions. but after school i went to work and then after work i took my co-worker home and then i went and got gas it was running fine and i started to head out of town after i got gas and all of a sudden it was miss firing. when i gave it gas it miss fired really bad and then when i would let go of the gas and let it ideal going down the road it would be fine.

muff34
11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
go back to autozone for another scan . Go from there before dropping new parts into it. I think I`d be checking plug wires etc. on a side note I think I seen some stuff the other day that you could use to dissapate moisture in the fuel . If I think of it Saturday I `ll look again and let you know what it is called. Also buy your gas at a reputable gas station not the no name places ....lol

95CamaroRS
11-12-2007, 07:45 AM
hey thanks for all the post. I figured it out. after work i went got a fuel filter and spark plug wires. first i went and changed my filter and it was dirty inside of that and then i changed my wires and a wire had a hole in it and some of the boots rubbers where ripped. it runs like a the day i got it. Thanks again

wrightz28
11-12-2007, 08:39 AM
cool beans :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!