Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

pool of Interest in a 13B engine detail set

WRC_413X
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey guys im about 90% ready to pour the molds for a complete engine detail set for the FD3S RX-7. But before i do or not i want to know how much you guys would be interested in a set like this. Its a complete replica set of all the Tamiya engine bay parts: Block, and bottom half of the engine, belts n pulleys, intake manifold, master cylinder, radiator cover n parts, etc. The purpose is to take this route instead of buying a cool FD and then if you wanted to have an engine you'd have to buy the tamiya kit too. Or also for any other non-FD application!

Please let me know what you guys think and if you'd be interested in this Thanks.!

freakray
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
So, if I understand you correctly, your plan is to make resin copies of the engine in the Tamiya kit?

WRC_413X
11-07-2007, 06:50 PM
yea pretty much.
cuz ive had to buy the kit to use the engine on other builds myself, kinda sucks

freakray
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
For personal use, I can understand, but to advertise here with intent to distribute - you don't feel there's anything morally wrong in what you're planning?

drunken monkey
11-07-2007, 07:12 PM
by "morally wrong", you meant "illegal", right?

mikemechanic
11-07-2007, 08:25 PM
by "morally wrong", you meant "illegal", right?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WRC_413X
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I mean i could scratch build it (it does lack some detail)and offer it as like a transkit for aoshima and others, having nothing to do with tamiya, that wouldnt be illegal or even morally wrong. I think you guys are seeing a little past what i was trying to do, i was trying to reproduce the engine more for convenience than for piracy or whatever you want to call it. Pretty much like how you can buy a nice Sparco or Recaro seat from Scale Auto Style, even some rims. Where did those come from? they wern't meticulously crafted from scratch they were made from any one of a ton of kits that have them. they offer it for convenience for 5 bucks to put it in any car u want lol. Im just tryin to help the average guy so they can have a 13b for an aoshima car or w/e for like 10 bucks or so, instead of havin to pay like 30.

freakray
11-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Pretty much like how you can buy a nice Sparco or Recaro seat from Scale Auto Style, even some rims. Where did those come from? they wern't meticulously crafted from scratch they were made from any one of a ton of kits that have them. they offer it for convenience for 5 bucks to put it in any car u want lol.

I think you need to back up there and check your facts before you make those accusations :nono:

The seats and wheels Chris is offering are those which can't be found in kits, he's not plagiarised a thing yet.

WRC_413X
11-08-2007, 08:45 AM
I think you need to back up there and check your facts before you make those accusations :nono:

The seats and wheels Chris is offering are those which can't be found in kits, he's not plagiarised a thing yet.

My apologies i mean i dont have any real way of checking, i have nothing against him or the site i think its great.
but you see what i was tryin to say? its not about copying the tamiya one, i could scratch build it then, Its the idea of having a stand alone 13B. i was planning on doing a bunch of motors over time that arnt available or very poorly available like some VW engines, ABA 2.0, a good VR6, and some other stuff EJ25. Im also doing a bunch of cars that arnt even available, im almost done with one now.

drunken monkey
11-08-2007, 09:15 AM
the point is, be careful with what you're doing.
Case in point, I've been (trying) making casts of the Welly Lotus Elise for my own use. The moment I start to distribute them, I am making a big step across the big line that is copyright/counterfeit laws. If I start to sell them, that is yet another big line....

WRC_413X
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Yea i totally get what you guys are saying and trust me im not lookin for that kind of trouble. i was only thinking on a level of distribution of here on AF really, if at all. these things would be offered under my own thing with no affiliation.

tonioseven
11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
You'd be surprised at how many manufacturers browse AF at one point or another. Also...

http://www.thepartsbox.com/

There's already at least one available for sale.

ariel
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
For personal use, I can understand, but to advertise here with intent to distribute - you don't feel there's anything morally wrong in what you're planning?
Alot of resin companies in the cottage industry do this they take parts from
kits that not all kits come with cast and sell them. Is there any difference if the seat in a kit is still available and some one cast it and sell it for pennies.
From modelhaus, repilacas and miniatures, perry's, parts box etc from doing it
i see no difference you are still casting something that someone else made.
even if its oop. Even it being oop youstill can buy the kit some hoe for 10X its cost

To make it a better 13b i would use the motor from Revell, front cover and intake from the Tamiya i think it would make for a nicer engine and revells kit is oop and then it would be fine for you to cast and sell

klutz_100
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
It's called pirating and it's illegal.

freakray
11-08-2007, 01:32 PM
kits that not all kits come with cast and sell them. Is there any difference if the seat in a kit is still available and some one cast it and sell it for pennies.
even if its oop. Even it being oop youstill can buy the kit some hoe for 10X its cost

To make it a better 13b i would use the motor from Revell, front cover and intake from the Tamiya i think it would make for a nicer engine and revells kit is oop and then it would be fine for you to cast and sell

So you agree with me then :)

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-08-2007, 01:54 PM

The Revell RX7 engine is a 12A. Narrower rotors/housings than a 13B. I'd like to see a modified Revell 12A engine made available for those of us w/Fujimi RX3's, I'd rather go old-school w/them vs. using a blown 13B.

DJ_Merle
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
^^^ Word, 12A is different from the 13B, nonetheless, if you were to scratch make one and sell em I think it'd be great, and thinkin about it now, because the rotary is a very simple design it shouldn't be to bad.

CeeElle
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
i'm going to assume the people railing against this guy for piracy have no music, movies, videos, F1/WRC/MotoGP/etc. races, eBooks or other intellectual property on their hard drives that they "found" on the internet...

MPWR
11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
i'm going to assume the people railing against this guy for piracy have no music, movies, videos, F1/WRC/MotoGP/etc. races, eBooks or other intellectual property on their hard drives that they "found" on the internet...

Maybe not, but at least they don't advertise it on a web forum....:disappoin

MidMazar
11-08-2007, 07:19 PM

A lot of other companies are or did though.

Add your comment to this topic!