Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

day time running lights

93blueblazer
11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
my 97 sunfire has no more day time running lights or high beam lights. i changed the light switch, also changed the relay for the running lights. all i have is low beams. when i click it on high beams the lights shut off, the little blue high beam light is always on , even when my lights are off. mabey there is something wrong with the gauge cluster , my manual for my car said that might be defective. im not sure.

northshoremb
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
I would also like to find the answer. I am similar but opposite, with my running lights and low beams not working and only my highs working. Same car 97 GT

93blueblazer
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
im glad im not the only one with this problem but i dont know how to fix this either, i changed the head light switch, the daytime running light relay, i also changed both head light bulbs... im unsure what else to do, i hope one of us can figure this out, if i find out ill post the fix in here.

brian 1
12-13-2007, 08:00 PM
the common problem on these are people fill the washer bottle on these vehicles and spill it.what happens is the fluid runs down the side of the bottle and sits inside the harness that runs inbetween the bottle and body. the harness houses the wiring for both headlights and drl lights.the wiring is crimped togther and get washer solvet and water on it and it sits inside the harness. it starts to corrode over time and the wire or wires break.start by removing the washer bottle and opening up the harness and tracing the blue wire.at the l/f headlight connector.and the orange wire on the r/s connector.follow both. they run from both l/f and r/f headlights down past the washer bottle and into the firewall.i forget what circuit they are on.or check the harness that runs along the front of the car just below the hood latch.open up and trace these 2 wires you will probably find a break in the wire somewhere,or multiple breaks.this was a common problem on the j body cars.from 95-about 2000- 2001.

93blueblazer
12-14-2007, 11:32 AM
thanks alot for your information.. it makws alot of sense, i will check it out in the near future... not right now because it is - 41 outside right now. ( i live in manitoba canada) very cold ..... i will check it out though... thank you very much!!!

jetblacknewyear
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I actually had this problem.

Look at the old lights and see what number is written on the sides of them. I have a 2001 Cavalier and they say 9007.

When I went to the store the guy gave me 9006's, and I had the problem as you have.

Go back and buy the right lights. If you can't read the number anymore you can always ask the guy to look it up.

I installed the new lights and everything is back to normal again.

dustypat99
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I have a 98 cavy z24 and i have no daytime running lights and my high bean indacater always stays on. but my daytime running light indacater never comes one so i bright ppl all the time cause i never know if my brights are on or not could this be the same prob you guys are having

Classicrocjunkie
07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
The headlight harnesses in these cars suck. Just an FYI for those who didn't know. 90% of the time, it is a problem cause by corroded wires.

Add your comment to this topic!