Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP ME! Whats this Car engine part called?

Ripcurl48
11-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey, I'm useless with cars. But I have a quick question about a part of the engine which sticks out of the hood. It has like 3 circles and flaps over the circles and it is usually found on muscle cars. I really want to know what this is called, and what it does.

Regards

Tristan

michael keeton
11-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey there! If you would like a simple guide for identifying certain car parts order a Summit Raceing or J.C. Whitney catalog, you can get them on-line

Dboy23
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I forget what it's called but it sucks in air which gives the car a bit more power. I'll see if I can find out what it is.

CassiesMan
11-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Its a blower.

DeViL
11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey, I'm useless with cars. But I have a quick question about a part of the engine which sticks out of the hood. It has like 3 circles and flaps over the circles and it is usually found on muscle cars. I really want to know what this is called, and what it does.

This is what you're talking about
http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/blown.jpg
This is the exact same thing, just different style.
http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/0004.jpg

It's kind of like a Ram Air setup. As you drive it sort of makes sure that air is fed straight to the air cleaners/filters which then goes to your carburator, and then goes to your supercharger. They are typically used on superchargers but I've seen them just used on high rise intakes as well.

rcgarza2005
11-06-2007, 08:49 PM
It's called a Street Scoop or Carburetor Scoop you can go to this site http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+311494&D=311494.
It is mostly for dressup but it does allow more air in the motor for more power.

MrPbody
11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
In the vernacular, it's called a "hat" by most racers today. It is the place the air goes, either into the blower as has been said, OR, just to direct the air into a carb or two (usually won't have the butterfly valves if there are carbs, but mechanical fuel injectors use them with the butterflys). We see them a lot on 2x4-bbl. systems, as well.

Technically speaking, it's the throttle body.

Jim

CassiesMan
11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Useful reference.
The inexpensive "true" supercharger +its performance data are described. Please, visit insert favorite spam site

Spamalicious.

post edited for link.- wrightz28

wrightz28
11-20-2007, 09:22 AM
got em

AMGalltheway
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
at least he got it in mostly the right forum

Den.
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds like it's been mostly answered and my bet is you've mainly seen the Mr Gasket knock off which fits everything down to a single 2 bbl carb. LOL.

It was made to look like the original injection setups from years ago where the 3 "round things" were the actual butterflys for the throttle back then as the regulated the air flow.

What you mostly see now if just basically a glorified air cleaner. As for the "Ram induction", sure okay, but almost all air filter setups have some sort of "scoop" somewhere.
Most street setups are more for looks than any real gains. Not that they don't work, just that you could even turn them backwards and they'd still do the job.

loophole
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I forget what it's called but it sucks in air which gives the car a bit more power. I'll see if I can find out what it is.

are you thinking of a carbeurator?

Add your comment to this topic!