Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Intrepid 3.5 whining noise...

doug2060
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
1994 Intrepid 3.5 V6 Automatic 125K. My Intrepid started making this whining noise a few days ago. I believe it is the power steering pump but I cant be sure just by listening to it. The wheel turns like normal and turning it has only a minimal effect on the noise by making it slightly quieter. The noise sounds like my old plymouth van when you would turn the wheel all the way left or right but the noise is constant no matter where the wheel is turned. It doesn't get much louder with accelertation. It gets slightly louder but when up to 40 to 60mph it's not as noticible. The fluid in the reservoir sloshes around even without turning the wheel but there are no air bubbles and it has sufficient fluid. Any thoughts or test I can try. It doesn't appear hard to replace if necessary but I don't want to waste my time throwing money at it. Is it safe to remove the accessory belt to run the engine and make sure it's not coming from inside the engine? I can handle anything outside the engine but am somewhat uncomfortable with internal engine issues.:banghead:

doug2060
11-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I drove the car all day today and the more I drove it the more quieter it became. The reservoir had adequate fluid to begin with but filling it to the top has apparently had some affect. I recently purchased this car from a friend and it had been parked for over a year. Could the noise have been caused by old or dirty fluid? Should I attempt to change or flush it? Can someone send a link on how to flush this system or give some instruction? Thanks...:licka:

doug2060
11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Just the tension pulley... I took it off and spun it on my finger and it sounded like it had dirt in it. I washed it off and soked it in carb cleaner. Then soaked it in WD40 for a while. Works great for now.

wayneo69
11-21-2007, 07:41 PM
replace the pulley and the belt

doug2060
11-21-2007, 11:46 PM
I will be sure to do that. I have driven it a few days with no problems. The belt looks fairly new with no signs of dry rot or age. It even has a sales sticker still stuck to the top. I will replace the pulley for sure. Thanks...

Add your comment to this topic!