Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is the 1.8 L engine an Interference or NonInterference Engine?

DOCTORBILL
11-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm wondering if the 1.8 Liter engine is an interference or a non-Interference engine if the Timing Belt were to break...

Can someone in the know tell me this?

Crvett69
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
my book only goes to 98 and only shows the 1.6 motor but of all the motors suzuki made till then only the 1.3 DOHC shows as being a interfernce engine

Torch
11-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes it is, it has two timing chains, one from the crankshaft to a big pulley, then a smaller one from the pulley to the two camshafts, if either chain (yes it is a chain) breaks the valves and pistons will hit each other.

But as luck would have it chains rarely break compared to belts so as long as they are inspected when they should be I wouldn't worry about it.

DOCTORBILL
12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Would "Inspecting" the Timing Chains be a costly endeavor as regards an Auto Shop?

DoctorBill

Torch
01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
To get to the point of "Inspecting" the chains you are nearly to the point of where you might as well replace them while you have everything apart.

At least on the 1.6 there isn't an inspection cover that you can remove and it doesn't look like the 1.8 has one either. They are both one large piece that covers the entire length of the timing chain(s).

DOCTORBILL
01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
How do the two 1.8 Liter engine timing chains get lubricated?

Or don't they!?

DoctorBill

Torch
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I would assume that it does get lubrication since it has moving flexible metal parts (the chains) that scrape against a tensioner, I did some checking and found that the timing chain cover requires an oil seal at the bottom of it where the crankshaft damper goes through it and there are a couple of places that require sealer when you reinstall the cover.

Where it goes its oil from I'm not sure, there are probably three different places that spray all three of the pulleys at the top end and then there is some kind of passage at the bottom where the oil goes back into the oil pan.

Add your comment to this topic!