2000 Sportage Will Not Start ????

rollydog34
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
HI I HAVE A 2000 REG KIA SPORTAGE V REG ON WAY HOME I CALLED AT A SHOP COME OUT TURNED THE KEY AND NOTHING WAS A FLAT BATTERY CALLED RAC AFTER 2 HOURS THERE TUREN UP PUT A BOOSTER ON TURNED THE KEY AND IT JUST TUREND OVER BUT DID NOT START RAC MAN CHECKED ALL THE FUESES ALL OK . TOLD ME THERE WAS NO SPARK TOLD ME CRANK SENSOR SO GOT A NEW ONE FROM KIA .. PUT IT ON AND A NEW BATTERY TURNED THE KEY AND NOTHING STILL WILL NOT START SO I DID A BLINK TEST ON IT AND I GOT THE CODE 86 BUT I DO NOT NO WHAT THIS MEANS PLEASE CAN ANY ONE HELP ME AS I NEED THE CAR RUNNING THANKS IN ADVANCE :banghead:

LMP
11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
..I'm very surprised you could get a blink test....this is OBD2 and normally a scanner is needed to extract codes..HOw do you perform your blink test on this one...I'll try just to see what happens, mine is a 2000 also...
I do not know what 86 means in this case...
..WHen you connect battery, do you have sign that there is some load on the battery that would turn it dead after some time...in fact, since you installed the new batter, did it turn dead again ?

..HOw did the mechanic knew there was no spark?...this is a little difficult with that engine..he really took the intake duct away and removed the plastic cover to access the coil packs?,,,,,

THe beginning of your post is somewhat confused...did it stop while traveling or just sitting there at home when trying to start..?

rollydog34
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
hi go to shis site mate wwwtroublecodes.net The blink test is on there..click on the bat one then at the end it says fault codes in the drop down click kia .. it is trying to start ie it cranks but does not fire up

rollydog34
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
To See If There Was A Spark He Took One Of The Leads Of From The Coils And Put A Spark Plug In And Turned It Over And No Spark ?????

IT WOULD NOT START AFTER I STOPPED IT OUT SIDE THE SHOP ........

LMP
11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes I had this page from troublecodes.net but this procedure applies to pre-95 OBD1 engines....some have tried it on cars like yours and blew components....beware.
What is the mileage of your car? Was the timing belt changed before? Timing belt requires replacement at 70,000 miles and this has been "tested" again and again: several who did not were left stranded in the middle of nowhere...
ANd again...how does the battery behave? If a malfunction drained the battery before, it will drain again...or was it a coincidence?
TO be sure, I'd open the timing belt cover and check for rotation.
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/timingbelt.jpg

rollydog34
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
hi thanks for that and your right it was not for my car seen last night .. is it a big job to look at the belt my car has 85000 on it just had a call and a mate of my brothers is on way up to put computer on it will let you no how i get on

LMP
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
As you see on photo, there are only a few bolts and nuts to remove and clear the belt cover top section just enough to see the belt and check for rotation and tightness. IN photo water pump is removed but this is not necessary for a check. It is a coincidence the photo is for a right hand drive car just like yours (battery on the left).

rollydog34
11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
hi there is no fault codes on my car .. when i start should i be de pressing the cluch ???????

LMP
11-08-2007, 08:12 AM
.. when i start should i be depressing the clutch ?
Yes
see diagram
www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/startingcircuit.gif

rollydog34
11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
well i dident no that could i have damaged the car by not doing it ????

LMP
11-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Well I meant according to the diagram, it would not start unless the clutch pedal is depressed because of a cut out switch that prevents operation of the starter. However, if the switch has been bypassed and you are able to start in neutral without depressing the pedal , this is OK.

Add your comment to this topic!