Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes

d1nonlyjv43
11-05-2007, 12:17 AM
96' Chevy Cavalier 2.2l

Problem:

When coming to a completer stop the brakes start to lock up in the back it seems like and the back of the car sluches downwards. When pedal releas from complete stop back end raises up a little.

Is my ABS kicking in and causing my rear brakes to lock up in the back and is my suspension gone or what/ Please help was planning on doing GR2 struts with skunk 2 Lowering springs on my suspension drop soon. Also have 17 inch wheels on car now is this goign to be a problem with the ride?

red99ws6
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
mine is doing the same thing. let me know if you come up with anything

jakegday
11-05-2007, 03:47 PM
does it make a "popping" noise at all when you let off the brake?

shakewell
11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Make sure the shoes don't need to be replaced first. If they look ok, you probably need to adjust them. Lift up rear wheels and rotate adjusting wheel inside drum until the you can spin the wheel but it has resistance and stops on its own.
An under-adjusted drum brake can cause the shoe to pitch out when you apply the brakes and the shoes grab the rust ridge on the drum causing it to lock up.

muff34
11-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Ditto Shakewell and it would not hurt to use some brake cleaner to clean things up in there as well

d1nonlyjv43
11-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Iv'e done that already had them re adjusted and sanded with emery cloth and cleaned with brake clean and drums resurfaced worked for about two weeks but came back now what?

shakewell
11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
adjust them again.

When you're adjusting 'em you should bang on the drum and rotate the drum and check it again. A lot of times they're not completely adjusted up the first time (unless you really know what you're doing) so after driving a while they may need to be adjusted again. I know it's a PITA but you should get it right before bad weather hits.

Dunno if that's really your problem or not but it sure sounds like it to me.

Add your comment to this topic!