Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 2.4L manual transmission problem

slimshitty
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Yesterday I was driving and lost 2nd gear and reverse. I checked the shift cables, as I had to replace one about six months ago. Neither of the cables appear to be broke as they are moving the plunger on the tranny. Are there any adjustments for the shift cables?. I've searched the forums but only find info referring to broken cables but I'm sure that neither of the cables are broken. I had a friend shift through the gears while I watched the tranny and both cables are moving in both directions. Does anyone know an adjustment procedure that will return 2nd and reverse for me ? :banghead:

slimshitty
11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I've read a little more and have another question as well. It seems, from what I've read, that someone has suggested adding Synchromax fluid to remedy a problem similar to this. Can anyone confirm that low fluid in a manual tranny could cause my particular problem? :banghead:

jakegday
11-03-2007, 11:50 PM
i know if its low on gear oil (not tranny fluid) it will cause shifting problems, however i dont know if it would cause the problem your describing

slimshitty
11-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok ... to update: checked the transmission fluid level ( and it is tranny fluid not gear oil; GM Synchromesh transmission fluid ) and, although it was slightly above the add mark, it's not critically low to a point to cause shifting problems. However, after taking the car on a short test drive I now am missing 2nd, 4th, and Reverse. Basically all of the gears on the bottom of the pattern. I checked a Haynes manual for this vehicle and find no mention of shift cable adjustment. There has got to be a Cavy gearhead out there who has encountered this before. Does any one know which cable affects 2nd, 4th, and Reverse? :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!