Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car sounds like a tractor

turbo8
11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
98 sunfire 2.4L
brothers car

at idle it really sounds like a desiel

It was really bad before i changed the oil so im guessing something with the valves or bearings.

I know it didnt make the noise before he had the water pump replaced, could the timing be off? i know he drove around like that for a few years.

the car drives fine.

oh and when the egine is running and i take off the oil filler cap allot of air comes out of there as if you try to pore oil in while running it doesnt go in it sprays all over the place lol

spudracer73
11-06-2007, 11:35 PM
dude correct me if i'm wrong but it the water pump is timing belt driven and some one unexperienced changed the pump the timing could very well be off. And the air comming out of the oil cap is most likely blowby. if the timing is off the valves could be contacting the piston.

turbo8
11-10-2007, 06:05 PM
on further inspection while at idle and i turn the steering wheel the noise is greatly reduced, so power steering pump? its alittle low on fluid, does it take power steering fluid or atf fluid?

Blaze_316_316
11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
lets get things straight, if the water pump was replaced it would not effect timing at all b/c the tensior should hold tension.. if was infact the water pump only, not in the timing cover, then it maybe a fualty tensior quad 4's are poor for oil driven tensiors... mbut if your did mess around with the chain(taken off) then you may be out 1 cog on the intake cam (i did this) sounds like all bad lifters... let me know

turbo8
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM
ya I dont know that much about the engine, he had someone else change the water pump. and after it was changed it started making the noise. this was like 3 years ago

He asked me to fix the noise a month ago

Blaze_316_316
11-11-2007, 09:06 PM
well i would say a bearing in the timing cover??? on water pump pully,or like i said b4 tensior you would need to use a scope, (or screw driver to the ear) to determine where the noise is coming from bottom end or mid timing cover.

jakegday
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
well i would say a bearing in the timing cover???

a bad bearing (that turns into a bad rod) is the most popular way a 2.4 goes out,

Blaze_316_316
11-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Srry I never seen your latest post use the screw driver trick , on side on power steering pump located on side of intake cam! closest to air filter

turbo8
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
noise is coming from #1 cylinder intake cam, i can hear tapping maybe piston slap noise goes away when reved or when you put a load on the power steering pump, so camshaft bearings? as it looks like the power steering pump is attached to the camshaft, or that camshaft is off by a tooth

Blaze_316_316
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
i ment bad bearing in the timing cover b/c the chain is on a water pump sprocket and the water pump disconnect from back side with 3 13mm nuts/studs and uses a spline to rotate the pump it self ( so bearing for water pump is inside the timing cover

Blaze_316_316
11-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Does your car have the oil pressure gauge?? if it does what does it read? if normal i would use the screw driver trick or broom handle place to your ear and listen to side of timing cover, for loudest point and that could save you some time, like i said if you have not removed or tamperd with the timing cover it shouldn't Jump a tooth on your cams or crank unless tensior failed, if tensior failed she will knock bad bottem end, like loud CLICK CLICK, if it does not have oil guage get a oil guage and put it on there and see if you have required oil pressure, you may have a lifter or 2 not pumping up. good luck

turbo8
11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
no oil pressure gage. ill get one and check it out, ill take it to my school for complete diagnosis.

thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!