Right Front tire wearing unevenly

sreilly77
11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
On my 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L, my front passenger side tire is wearing unevenly. The tread is more worn on the outside of the tire then it is on the inside. I bought these tires last January and have put about 15,000 miles on them. They are Bridgestone Dueler ATs. All the other tires are wearing evenly including the other front tire. I suspect it is a bad tie-rod end. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

dksob81
11-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Is the tire chopped or just worm thinner on the outside edge then the rest of the tire?

A bad tire rod end will throw your toe adjustment off which will cause the tires to be chopped.

But if it is just work out more on the outside then this would prolly be a bad ball joint or just general alignment issue.

Either way have the front end aligned, they will also be able to tell you if anything is bad. A good alignment shop will check for excessive play in all the steering linkage, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings, etc..... before doing an alignment.

sreilly77
11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Is the tire chopped or just worm thinner on the outside edge then the rest of the tire?

A bad tire rod end will throw your toe adjustment off which will cause the tires to be chopped.

But if it is just work out more on the outside then this would prolly be a bad ball joint or just general alignment issue.

Either way have the front end aligned, they will also be able to tell you if anything is bad. A good alignment shop will check for excessive play in all the steering linkage, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings, etc..... before doing an alignment.

Well I climbed under and checked out the ball joints, control arms, the steering linkages, wheel bearings, etc and they are all fine. However, I remember when I bought these tires they told me that the one side didn't align up all the way when they did the alignment (the one side where I am having the problem was off by like .1 or something). They told me it could have been a possible bad strut.

The tire is worn out more on the outside that the inside. It isn't chopped. I was just told by a family friend that it could just need an alignment. I have put 15,000 miles on these tires already so I am guess this could be the problem. But I am going to check the strut tomorrow though and see if that may be the problem.

reekor
11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Does the steering-wheel jerk when making sharp turns on a dry road?

On my 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L, my front passenger side tire is wearing unevenly. The tread is more worn on the outside of the tire then it is on the inside. I bought these tires last January and have put about 15,000 miles on them. They are Bridgestone Dueler ATs. All the other tires are wearing evenly including the other front tire. I suspect it is a bad tie-rod end. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

sreilly77
11-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Na I don't have any problems like that. It drives perfectly normal like it doesn't pull one way or the other whether I'm driving the Jeep or braking. I can let go of the wheel on a flat road while the Jeep is moving and it stays perfectly straight. I can't figure out what it could be.

reekor
11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
This problem you wouldnt notice unless making really sharp turns. What transfer-case does your jeep have? The 249 are known for having bad VC and binding the front wheels in tight turns, In fact I just bought a 96 3 months ago and the linkage was out of adjustment so it couldnt be shifted into 2wd and it was also binding the front wheels in tight turns since it was in 4wd on dry roads. The reasons that I am saying this is that it also had a front right tire worn on the outter edge. Eversince the adjustment and now that it shifts into 2wd it takes sharp turns like a normal rwd car. I did replace the tire with a used one and there no uneven tire wear this far. Do a few donuts on a dry road and see how well it turns, if there is a problem you will feel the front wheels bind, might even get some tire squeel.

Na I don't have any problems like that. It drives perfectly normal like it doesn't pull one way or the other whether I'm driving the Jeep or braking. I can let go of the wheel on a flat road while the Jeep is moving and it stays perfectly straight. I can't figure out what it could be.

sreilly77
11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
well it turned out it was a bad wheel bearing. so i replaced them both

Add your comment to this topic!