Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

High Idle after cleaning butterfly intake!

italianjeremy
11-02-2007, 05:26 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the help with my low idle at low temperature problem... i just scrubed out the air intake throttle body and butterfly on my 94 camry with carb cleaner and steel brush and it starts right up!

however, now, if the engine is warm, and i stop at a stop light(auto trans) , itll idle in Drive at 1000rpm and when i put it in park, itll idle at 1400-1500. . .

it seems too high for this car.

should i detach the battery for 30min to let the computers reconfigure the idle speed?

thanks again!!!!

Mike Gerber
11-02-2007, 05:56 PM
It's worth a try. However, you may haved scratched the inside of the inside of the throttle body using a steel brush and now the butterfly valve won't seat properly. The steel brush may have been too aggressive. Anyway, I would give it a try and see what happens. There's not much work involved in trying it. If that doesn't help, I would next check for cracked or disconnected vacuum lines. It's possible you could have knocked one of them off working on the throttle body. Also, make sure the large intake tube leading to the throttle body has been reinstalled properly and that there are no cracks in it. That can produce a serious vacuum leak.

Mike

italianjeremy
11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
thanks, ill check it out. im pretty sure i installed the big intake hose properly, and theres no cracks in it cus i just bought it 3 months ago. ill see what happens... any other suggestions please post. thanks!

italianjeremy
11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
well, the idle in drive at a stop light is 1k , and 1.5k in park.
i checked the intake and everything is sealed and i know i did it lightly enough so as not to damage it... any ideas? i unplugged the battery for 10 minutes, but i dont know if theres a predetermined amount of time to allow the computer to reset in the car... anyone?

DFBonnett
11-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Do a search for Idle air control valve, IAC. You may have gotten some crud in it during the cleaning of the TB.

italianjeremy
11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
well i took throttle cleaner, and a red straw nozzle on end and stuck it a couple inches into the little IAC tongue located just before the butterfly and sprayed the hell down there. . some stuff came out... im wondering, is it possible to flood or drown the electronics in the IAC valve? im wonderin that by cleaning the butterfly with too much throttle body cleaner i may have shorted something in the IAC the first time. thanks!

oh, and if anyone knows, this is a 94 camry, i jump wired the E1 and T1 as specified to read the check engine codes... all is does is FLASH CONTINUOUSLY. . . i counted up to 100 flashes so i doubt theres any codes past 70 or so. . .i read one site for a toyota supra and it said it means no codes exist.

DFBonnett
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Mike may well have nailed it with the theory of the scratched bore in the TB. Using a steel brush was pretty much overkill. Generally a toothbrush is the recommended tool. That aluminum is pretty soft.
Can you hold open the throttle and fell the bore of the TB to see if it now has a rough spot keeping the plates from closing properly?
FWIW
YMMV

jtoyotaman
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
is it v-6 if so it is obd2,

italianjeremy
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
ill check the bore where the butterfly seals. i think itll be ok. it would be really weird that i grooved out the aliminum a perfect amount that the RPM is exactly 1500rpm in park and 1000rpm in drive at a stop light. i didnt scrub too hard. more worried about the IAC valve... ill see. any more suggestions please post.

ydere
11-24-2007, 02:23 AM
I own a 94 camry. The car was high on idle since I bought it. I have done throttle body cleaning too. I have the same idle rpms as you mentioned. 1500rpm at park or neutral, 1000rpm in drive gear.
Have you solved your problem yet? My car also consumes a lot of gas.. Around 15miles/gal. EGR valve was cleaned but when I checked the voltage from the ECM, it is not as specified in the manual. Should I replace the EGR I don't know.. This high idle can be caused by EGR, that I don't know either..
Any help would be appreciated..

Mike Gerber
11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I own a 94 camry. The car was high on idle since I bought it. I have done throttle body cleaning too. I have the same idle rpms as you mentioned. 1500rpm at park or neutral, 1000rpm in drive gear.
Have you solved your problem yet? My car also consumes a lot of gas.. Around 15miles/gal. EGR valve was cleaned but when I checked the voltage from the ECM, it is not as specified in the manual. Should I replace the EGR I don't know.. This high idle can be caused by EGR, that I don't know either..
Any help would be appreciated..

I wouldn't think a carboned up EGR valve would cause the symptoms you are getting. It would usually cause more of a rough idle or stumble or hesitation when accelerating or driving at a steady speed.

Three things come to mind that could cause both the high idle and an increase in gas consumption, along with the incorrect voltage from the ECM.

The first would be a simple vacuum leak somewhere. If excess air were being drawn in to the engine, the ECU would try to compensate by adding more fuel to the mixture. Check all vacuum lines for leaks. An obvious place would be the large tube feeding to the throttle body. They can crack with age and your car is now 13 or 14 years old.

The second would simply be a thermostat that is stuck in the open position. This would not allow the car to reach normal operating temperature. With the engine always running colder than normal, the idle would be high and the fuel consumption would increase. Does your gage on the instrument panel show normal operating temperature when the car warms up?

The third thing would be an out of range engine coolant temperature sensor. Toyota calls this the ECT sensor in their manuals. It could be out of range and constantly telling the ECU that the engine is cold, when it is actually warm. This could also result in the symptoms you are getting. Use the DVM and the specs from any manual to check the ECT sensor.

Mike

ydere
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks a lot Mike. Should I try to clean the Idle Valve? Can that cause my problems? There is no visible crack on the air intake tube, but is there a way to fully test it? I will try to check other things you've mentioned. The heat gage on the instrument panel was showing close to the middle bar, as I remember.

Yunus

Mike Gerber
11-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks a lot Mike. Should I try to clean the Idle Valve? Can that cause my problems? There is no visible crack on the air intake tube, but is there a way to fully test it? I will try to check other things you've mentioned. The heat gage on the instrument panel was showing close to the middle bar, as I remember.

Yunus

Cleaning the idle air control valve certainly couldn't hurt, but my guess is that it's not the cause of your problem. Clean it anyway; it's still worth a try.

The are 3 ways I know of to check for vacuum leaks, outside of a visual
inspection. The first is to simply listen for the hiss of a leak. A pice of garden hose or a mechanics stethoscope is best for this procedure. The second is to use a propane torch without it being lit. You open the valve and move it along the suspected area of the leak. If the idle speeds up when you go over an area, that area has a leak. The propane is being sucked in to the engine and is being burned by the engine. Another method is to use spray carb cleaner around the suspected areas. If a leak is present in a suspected area, the idle will also increase when the cleaner is sprayed over that area. These 2 methods are actually best to check for leaks when the idle is too low, since the increase in idle speed will be easier to notice.

With the heat gage on the instrument panel showing normal operating temperature, I think you can eliminate a thermostat stuck in the open position. I think the most obvious thing to check would be that engine coolant temperature sensor.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!