Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Styrene

Integra14
12-01-2002, 08:10 PM
I just went to my local hardware store-chase pitkins.. and tried to find some Styrene plastic sheets, but couldn't find them... I have some questions:
does anyone know where i could order them online?
what thickness/size to get?
how do you bend the plastic?
Can you use clear styrene and paint over it?

I really went into the store and i didn't really know wha ti was looking for. All the help is appreciated:bloated:

fullbloodchop01
12-01-2002, 08:18 PM
well you normally find styrene in a shop that also sells model trains, or so ive heard, i have recently gone out of state and bought a bag of evergreen styrene that is called odds and ends, it comes with alot of different size styrene, tubes , and clear sheets
HTH:smoker:

integra818
12-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Integra14
I just went to my local hardware store-chase pitkins.. and tried to find some Styrene plastic sheets, but couldn't find them... I have some questions:
does anyone know where i could order them online?
what thickness/size to get?
how do you bend the plastic?
Can you use clear styrene and paint over it?

I really went into the store and i didn't really know wha ti was looking for. All the help is appreciated:bloated:

A good thickness is .5 ,not 5 (point) .5
They're easy to bend, if you bend them too much, they might snap
You can paint over it like normal plastic
They look like blank shets of paper with no lines, some of them are really thick, others are very thin. Good luck to you!
:flash:

fullbloodchop01
12-01-2002, 08:31 PM
you can definitley paint over the clear styrene but i wouldnt recomond it :( u should save he clear parts for when u losea tail light or something that you want to be clear, and it polishes up very nicely

Integra14
12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
ok.. so is there any place i could buy it online, and waht is a average price for it.. im talking enough to make maybe 2 body kits...

integra818
12-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Integra14
ok.. so is there any place i could buy it online, and waht is a average price for it.. im talking enough to make maybe 2 body kits...

Whn I buy them, they cost me $2.50 and there are 2 sheets in there, I buy the .5 ones, that's enough to make,6 or 7 body kits, depends how good you are

fullbloodchop01
12-01-2002, 08:52 PM
i think he asked for a site ralph( :flipa: )http://evergreenscalemodels.com/

integra818
12-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Integra14, what kind of body kit do you wanna build for what car? I have a site where you can view probably all the body kits ever made for your chosen car, I'll find a link later.

fullbloodchop01
12-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by integra818
Integra14, what kind of body kit do you wanna build for what car? I have a site where you can view probably all the body kits ever made for your chosen car, I'll find a link later.
that sure sounds like a good site, lets see the link RALPH:flipa: :flipa: :frog:

Integra14
12-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Im looking to make a body kit on a Revell ITR, Tamiya Supra, and Tamiya 300 ZX

integra818
12-02-2002, 10:05 PM
www.asylumms.com

Screw you Rui :finger: j/k

hermanchauw
12-04-2002, 05:04 AM
I bought a sheet of ABS some time ago in Taiwan for a very cheap price (75 Taiwan $ for 0.5mm x 60cm x 50cm) and until now i have found no problem working with it compared to styrene. And normal modelling cement works well with it. I also used it for my STIKFAS figurine (which is made of ABS).
Any experts who want to share the difference in properties between styrene and ABS?

Jonno
12-04-2002, 05:24 AM
Those war gaming shops usually have them.

No Right Turn
12-04-2002, 10:33 AM
It depends on how much styrene you're wanting to buy...

You can buy 4'x8' sheets of just about any thickness of Styrene sheet for WAY less then you'll get it at the Hobby shop... I buy my styrene 10 sheets at a time, at around $4.50/sheet.

You'll need to go to a Plastic wholesaler to get it... look in your yellow pages under plastic and see if there are any in your area..

Add your comment to this topic!