Are Extended Warranties Worth It?

Jacobkori
10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
I am about to settle the paper work & pick up my 2008 Toyota Rav4 (4cyl Ltd) in a couple of days. My question is this: Are extended warranties and car protection packages (rust proofing, paint protection etc.) etc. worth getting? From what I have read, most books say no, - but I wanted to ask all of you directly.

Ray paulsen
10-30-2007, 11:00 PM
When you have finished negotiating your purchase its them time to enter the business/ finance office better know as the cash cow office by insiders.
I would like for you to read fully this link on my website http://www.usedcartips.org/ANYWARRANTY.html and then you decde if after market products offered by a dealer is worth the bucks.

'97ventureowner
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
For a lot of dealers, this is a big moneymaking area with high markups on the services. They like to push them towards the end of the sale to pad their bottom line. Most of the time you can go and get the same service for less cost aftermarket. Most of the time the extended warranties are not worth the extra cost unless the vehicle has a history of past having the same problems year after year. You also have to watch the issuing company for the warranty and read ALL the fine print of the contract and what it specifies. They can tell you where to go to get repairs, what parts can be used,(including used parts)and if there are any deductibles.

dianejsmith
10-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah! This warranty will pay for your vehicle's covered repairs after the manufacturer's warranty has expired. If you want more about extended warranty then I would like to prefer a site called advertising link removed by moderator you can get all about extended warranty. Hope this will help you.
All the best!

Paul79UF
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
For a Toyota? I'd say no.

We got an extended warranty on a 2005 Corolla for 60k miles or 6 years. It's a 2005 and already has 40k miles. I'm almost 100% sure the warranty was a waste of money if except for peace of mind.

Now for my '01 Grand Prix, I wish I had a very long extended warranty because I had to pay $2800 for a tranny rebuild.

carcoach
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
If you are buying a new car, then you don't need an extended service contract now. Wait until the car is almost out of manufacturers warranty, then buy one aftermarket. It will be about 60% of the cost that you would pay from a dealer anyway. Hope that helps.

link removed by Moderator - unauthorized advertising

HodgiePsi
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Now this kinda depends on many factors:

One being do you intend on keeping this car after its paid for?

Two what type of extended warranty are you speaking of?

Three, not all warranty's are created equal.

I've had Non-Manufacturer warranties on cars past and they require many Hoops be jumped thru for any covered repair, meaning that if you water pump need replacing they have to have a rep. visit the dealer and sign-off on the fact that said, part is in deed bad and is covered under the terms of their contract and then you car can be fixed, which usually takes days longer than if you had a manufacturers warranty, which would be fixed without question usually.

Type, for instance Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep now offers a Full Wrap extended warranties in levels of coverage, that for the LIFE of the car, along with their Lifetime Drivetrain, ONLY to the Original Purchaser of the vehicle and at the Time of Purchase only, you can add the Wrap coverage and the car is basically covered Bumper to Bumper with all systems, outside of wear items, for as long as you own the car. Just added that to a new Sahara 4dr i got the wife, with Nav/ Electric windows (1st for a wrangler). So i figured the cost for a replacement nav would be worth the peace of mind. Yet you have to add the Coverage at purchase time.

There are differences, but if money is the concern, the brands play a part in durability and quality.

Add your comment to this topic!