Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best way to drill out a bolt?

Polygon
10-29-2007, 12:58 AM
I was taking the ol' banana wing off to remove the rear wiper. When I was tightening the bolt back up the bolt on the right side busted the head off. It wasn't even snug and I have nothing to grab onto to get it out. Will I have to drill it and re-tap it or do you guys know of a way I can back it out?

BTW, it isn't cross-threaded.

liquidPunk
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
I'd just re tap it man, save yourself a few hours of torment lol. But You could try to use a slightly smaller bit than the diameter of the bolt, then try to hammer out what is left leaving the threads.. it takes awhile but has worked for me before, the bolt should be softer than the metal around it.

good luck.

AutostradaVR4
10-29-2007, 08:05 AM
for metric there should be a bit sixe that will just leave the threads behind...assuming you can drill it out strait. they you can just pull the treads out with some needlenose plires.

on you can try this: drill it out with a smaller bit...1/8 or something...and pound a small screwdriver or allen key in the hole and try to unscrew it. worked for me before, but the bolt really cant be rusty or anything.

Polygon
10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Nope, it wasn't rusty. I just cant figure out why it snapped. It must have just been weak. Anyhow, I think I'll give an EZ out a try. If that doesn't work I'll try drilling it out. If that screws it up then I guess it's perfect excuse to buy a tap and die kit.

jason_bet
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
yeah if it wasn't tight.. should come out easy with a ez out

Add your comment to this topic!