Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Freestar fuel filter change. You will LOVE THIS!!!

garync1
10-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes just changed the fuel filter to the Freestar. WHAT A PAIN.. GEE!!! you only have to drop the gas tank down about a foot. 1st have a roll jack supporting the gas tank between the first 2 gas tank straps.

2nd disconnect the first 2 gas tank straps.

3rd remove filter cover. They have a plastic pop out plug type connection. You can use pliers and a flat head screw driver to push the center of the plug out and pry out.

4th Pliers can be used to disconnect the push clips on the disconnects. The green part needs to be push in.

5th. hoses in the rear are different in sizes. So do not worry about putting in the wrong way. They wont snap on and you will notice the size differ.

Not all that hard, takes about 30min and a 13mm socket for the fuel strap bolts. The guys form ford who thought of this need to be shot though..
I will post some pics of this job.. Gary

garync1
10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
http://community.webshots.com/album/561205362eKXCZO
Last 6 shots on page 1 are of the fuel filter replacement. then go to page 2 are the rest.. Hope this helps.. Gary

rogersdodgers
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Not just ford -- It's like my dodge full size van when they engineer the fuel pump in the top of the gas tank and don't put in an access door above it.

road_rascal
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Seeing as how this is basically an update for the Windstar why the heck didn't the use the same fuel routing setup? What a pain.

wafrederick
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
If there is a hard way,Ford has it and leave no room at all to work on them.

jcasaccio
10-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a 2006 LTD and didn't have to drop the tank. It did suck, but once I got the filter cover off (plastic thing) I used a tiny screwdriver to unclip the fittings.....

Add your comment to this topic!