Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squeaky cornering

ricktee
10-28-2007, 07:13 AM
I have a 97 clio that has started squeaking when cornering, i'm pretty sure its coming from front left wheel, I thought it might be the brake disk or bearings and worst case the driveshaft. Has anyone come across this problem and how do you fix it?

tonka06
11-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi ricktee

Had the same problem myself. When got the wheels off and had a look my problem was a sticking piston on the brake caliper - nothing too big.
You'll be able to check this by jacking up (not you the car) and then turning the steering wheel in the direction of the squeak - then sit on the floor and turn the wheels round with your hands. You should feel a little resistance and you might hear that squeak too.

Mine had resulted in a little uneaven wear on the pads. So i changed both front sets as normal, but also got a caliper piston kit from Renault (less than £15 I think) and replaced the caliper pistons. Clio's have been made with two types of capiler though - so you might want to check which you have before you get all the bits.

I am not a mechanic, just used the Haynes Manual that you can buy. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you have a proper jack - not the clio one - axle stands would be even better. And really grease up those caliper pistons. You'll nee more grease than they give you in the caliper piston kit.

I'll add to this that this is something that apparently happens often with clio's. Having done mine last year and they are starting to squeak again. Trick is to take a look as soon as they are squeaking to save you the cost of pads too. Ours doesn't get much regular use so maybe that has something to do with it, but when she does drive it the missus drives like schumacher.

Good luck

ricktee
11-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi tonka06,
Thanks for that, I've only just got your reply so it's a bit dark now. I will have a look in the morning, if that is the case then its a lot better than I was expecting.

Add your comment to this topic!