Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alarm Security Problem

jmschoon
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
1998 Legacy Wagon Outback Limited

I love my car but a problem has come up that is making think of getting rid of the car.

Everything worked fine until Saturday night. Locked the car using the fob, heard the double chirp, but as I was walking away heard a single chirp but didn’t think anything about it.

Sunday when I went to leave the fob would not unlock the doors. Thought the battery was dead in the fob, changed the battery but still no luck. Tried the other fob, no luck.

Unlocked the door using the key, tried to start engine, no start. After some searching here in the forums found the override button, and car will start but only using the override button every time.

Yesterday when I tried to go to work it would not start even with the override button. I might have had the door closed when I tried as it was raining outside. Ended up having to take my wife’s car to work.

Today the car again starts using the override button but only with the override.

WTF?

Is there a way of totally resetting the system? I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes but only thing that did was lose my radio stations.

Everything turns on when key is inserted (fan, radio, lights, etc.) but the engine will not turn over without the override button. Even tried jumping across the starter to battery to check the starter and the engine turns over and will start but that is no solution, and it’s not the starter.

Help

Add your comment to this topic!