Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 Won't Crank

-ROKTOY-
10-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Ok my brother owns a '92 Corsica w/3.4L, The car has been running fine until today. The car started fine this morning, But this afternoon he went to McDonalds and when he went to leave he pulled out onto the road and the car just died. He said the radio went stupid and then the car died. He said it won't crank over now, He said his lights work....etc.....Why would it die and then not even CRANK OVER?Thanks in ADVANCE!!!

jdl
10-27-2007, 08:20 AM
My info doesn't show a 3.4 in a Corsica. No matter. I'd think some kind of ignition issue. I would probably start by checking the battery and starter circuits. Find out why it won't crank. Did he try jumper cables? You could try the old headlite test, turn the lites on, turn the key to crank, how do the lites react. Do they stay bright, do they dimm? There is a bunch of other tests, you could try. You could jump the starter solenoid, just to see if it will crank, if you try that, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. I guess you could turn the crank by hand, make sure the engine isn't froze-up.

loosenut74
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
My info doesn't show a 3.4 in a Corsica. No matter. I'd think some kind of ignition issue. I would probably start by checking the battery and starter circuits. Find out why it won't crank. Did he try jumper cables? You could try the old headlite test, turn the lites on, turn the key to crank, how do the lites react. Do they stay bright, do they dimm? There is a bunch of other tests, you could try. You could jump the starter solenoid, just to see if it will crank, if you try that, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. I guess you could turn the crank by hand, make sure the engine isn't froze-up.you mean a 3400?

Add your comment to this topic!