Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Trooper clutch hydraulic system

barneyhyphen
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Small problem with the clutch associated hydraulics. Pedel was dipping lower & lower over past couple of months (increasing free play). So got under the dash to adjust the MC rod and discovered small persistent leak.

Rebuilt MC last night and bled the system, not at the slave end but at the little 2" aluminum widget 12" in front of the MC, with the bleed nipple. MC bore was in perfect shape and the rebuild is NOT leaking.

Clutch action was perfect this morning for about 15 miles then seems all of a sudden, lost all freeplay and started biting at the very top of the pedel travel.

Question 1) Does the slave have a bleed nipple on it
Question 2) What is the 2" square widget thing there for and is it safe to pop the cover off it (4 screws) and wash/flush it out.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

texmex
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I have an '89 with the same problem. There is a bleeder nipple on the slave cylinder. I have replaced both the master and slave cylinder on mine and I still cant get pressure after bleeding the system. Have you had any luck with yours?

barneyhyphen
12-17-2007, 11:05 AM
TexMex, I eventually got mine done. A little time consuming but pretty pain free.

I first bled the Slave by attaching a tight fitting clear hose to the slave nipple, inserting the other end in a mayo jar with 1" of fresh fluid in it. Keeping the jar end of the hose UNDER/in the fluid in the jar. Cracked the nipple open 1/8 turn, punped the peddle 5 times, refilled the MC, 5 pumps, etc etc, until I had about 3" of "old" fluid in the jar. Re tightened the nipple. then did the same to the "damper thingy" on the top of the wheel. Then did the slave again. All seems to have worked for me.

Add your comment to this topic!