Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kinda funny...

Arbalest
10-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm not much into racing, but I have a story for yas. =D

So, I'm cruising on the interstate (doing about 70-75 MPH) when a couple of HS girls pass me in the left lane and match my speed for a minute. They were driving what appeared to be the mid-90s generation Mustang GT, red with exhausts (from what I know), and a local Stang club sticker. They decide to do a 70 MPH takeoff run with me, and I'm like what the hell... I may drive a '92 SL with ATX, but I really hate cheeky HSers in Mustangs, so I take 'em on, only to be smoked.

After that, they decide to add insult to injury, wait for me to pass them normally in traffic, and gun it again.

Now, there were only about 10 miles left of interstate before the state-line, and Exit 4 in my area has the mall. Where do HSers with in-state tags go? The answer, and in this case, the finish line, were obvious.

I decided to hang out in traffic for a little while, and on the stretch about 2 miles before the exit, I start building up my speed, catching up to them in the left lane doing about 102. At this time, they were passing traffic in the left lane, but when I jerked over to pass them on the right, they CUT ME OFF. I honestly didn't predict that they were going to, but, for some odd reason, my body reacted on its own, and I jerked back into the left lane, flying by them before they were able to catch what I was doing. I landed onto the exit ramp a good five or six cars (actual cars, not car lengths) ahead of them, and reached the mall parking lot before they did with ease. They followed me in, even parked next to me, and were all like "if I'd kept on the gas, you would've been way back there" (her friend was yelling, too, but I couldn't pick out what she said). My reply, verbatim: "... but you still lost. You beat me in takeoff, but I beat you to the finish line... by the way, what you lost to was the non-turbo version, so try to imagine what would've happened if I had turbos."

I believe that my reason for victory was because of who I was against, rather than what I was against. That will always be known as the day when an A/T 3000GT SL with transmission and electrical problems beat a Mustang GT. =D

Igovert500
10-26-2007, 12:28 AM
That's what is generally refered to as a 'ricer flyby'. When you lose a race and then speed up and pass the winning car after they have clearly won and let off, and claim victory. Usually it is frowned upon. Nice race though, an NA ATX is hard pressed to run against an 8 cylinder...even if it's a stang. Just keep it safe.

Twizted_3KGT
10-26-2007, 12:36 AM
yeah that's pretty lame.:shakehead

Arbalest
10-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I know it's nothing to gawk at, but considering I hardly ever race, I thought it was funny (especially for someone at my level and the trim that I drive), nonetheless. I wouldn't have claimed a single victory from that encounter if she didn't actually try to get me that third time, or perhaps gave me some sort of excuse (IE wasn't racing, shitty brakes, the like) rather than angrily yelling at me and asking for a rematch.

I figured that if she could whoop me twice, why couldn't she get me again? From her POV, I have no doubt that she could've easily seen me coming, and could've easily left me in the dust if she floored it again. I wonder what was going on through her mind when she decided to cut me off from passing her on the right (I could hear her flooring it to try and overtake me in the right lane, but she got locked into traffic)...

To me, it was more like battles within a war. I may have reached the finish line first, but I was beaten twice before that. In terms numbers-of-victory, I totally lost, anyway, but I can concede to that. After all, I'm not a racer and I have no turbos.

liquidPunk
10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I would concur on the lameness of the race, except that I dig your writing style, so its all good.

Well, on a more personal note, I long to purify the world with a mustang genocide:grinyes:

bleedEGLblue
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Here is a not so funny story. I raced a camaro coming home from lacrosse, totally worked him then he decided to attempt the flyby, so of course i didnt let it happen, was already going around 90-100, floored it again, and punched a hole right thru piston #1 of my baby CAUTION...lol although I know the 3/s's have stronger stock pistons than the E/T/L's, but its still hard on the engine, could get a little piston/valve contact

Arbalest
10-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Hah. I read one post a few pages back about some person racing a spoiled kid with an '03 Supercharged Cobra with a Stealth TT, and it totally blows away my story in terms of heroic measure (even though he wasn't the one that actually drove in the race, if I read correctly).

I wonder if a Mustang GT's engine would blow holes from taking off out of 80 MPH? I've heard that the V6s are prone to disaster at any given time, would it be the same for the newer generation V8s?

I'm sorry for the lameness. I totally forgot that my story seems more like two little kids fighting over the last dinner roll at the table, as opposed to to the Karate-master-versus-world-famous-boxer-in-a-cage-fight badass-esque stories I've read on here and 3si.

bleedEGLblue
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Haha liquidPunk your right...the writing style is definentely fun...the only v8 in my world is if my two fours are siting next to each other on oppsite slopes lol...i know nothing about them...except that there big...and manly:screwy:

talskinyguy
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Here is a not so funny story. I raced a camaro coming home from lacrosse, totally worked him then he decided to attempt the flyby, so of course i didnt let it happen, was already going around 90-100, floored it again, and punched a hole right thru piston #1 of my baby CAUTION...lol although I know the 3/s's have stronger stock pistons than the E/T/L's, but its still hard on the engine, could get a little piston/valve contact

WTF are you talking about? It doesn't even make sense. You may have blown a hole in a piston, but it had nothing to do with flooring it while already going 90-100. Who said the 3S's Pistons are stronger than the DSM's? and you should never ever ever ever have valve to piston contact, it doesn't matter what speed you are going or what you are doing. If you have valve to piston contact its because your timing belt slipped, which 99% of the time is because maintenance wasn't done.

talskinyguy
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Hah. I read one post a few pages back about some person racing a spoiled kid with an '03 Supercharged Cobra with a Stealth TT, and it totally blows away my story in terms of heroic measure (even though he wasn't the one that actually drove in the race, if I read correctly).

I wonder if a Mustang GT's engine would blow holes from taking off out of 80 MPH? I've heard that the V6s are prone to disaster at any given time, would it be the same for the newer generation V8s?

I'm sorry for the lameness. I totally forgot that my story seems more like two little kids fighting over the last dinner roll at the table, as opposed to to the Karate-master-versus-world-famous-boxer-in-a-cage-fight badass-esque stories I've read on here and 3si.

03 cobra is going to faster stock for stock, mod for mod, and be much cheaper to mod than a stealth TT

No a mustang won't blow a hole in a piston if it takes off from 80, no car should. If it does there is something wrong with it.

Arbalest
10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
03 cobra is going to faster stock for stock, mod for mod, and be much cheaper to mod than a stealth TT

No a mustang won't blow a hole in a piston if it takes off from 80, no car should. If it does there is something wrong with it.

So, in that sense, the HSer driving the Mustang had no excuse not to try and smoke me for a third time?

Like I said, she didn't necessarily tell me that she wasn't trying to race me, so I assumed that she was (especially hearing her engine after passing her), thus, I claimed a single victory out of the three runs... but thinking about that, there were only two; the second one was more me passing her at normal traffic speeds and her insulting me by flooring it again.

talskinyguy
10-26-2007, 03:34 PM
So, in that sense, the HSer driving the Mustang had no excuse not to try and smoke me for a third time?

What? How is that relevant to either of the statements I just made?

Arbalest
10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
From that post about that Talon blowing a hole in its piston, I concluded that perhaps the reason why the Mustang lost against me on the last run of that race was because the driver was afraid of that happenening, and you said that it's not possible for that Mustang (or the Supercharged Cobra from the other story) to blow a hole in its piston from a takeoff at 80 MPH.

Without that as an excuse, and the fact that the driver didn't say that she wasn't trying to smoke me on the last stretch proves that it was alright for me to claim that as a win.

Either way, lame or not, I take pride in being able to at least score that as a win with my ATX NA, even though I probably wouldn't have if the other driver wasn't dumb.

bleedEGLblue
10-26-2007, 09:26 PM
talskinyguy...I am not a moron like you might think...I DO know that the piston was probably blown due to overboost (had just bought the car) but it did happen during that scenario...all I amsaying is that it DOES put alot more stress on the car

And I have heard, seen stories of valve piston contact at high speed which usually means high reving which, yes, usually does mean a slip. It leaves a nice little reminder in the piston and cylinder wall.

I will admit the 3s coming with stronger pistons was an assumption that came from literature telling me of what numbers peoplehave reached on stock internals, I havn't seen those numbers for a DSM. But dont get me wrong, i love being proved wrong

Stealthee
10-26-2007, 11:10 PM
You guys got ALOT to learn. talskiny is 100% correct. There is NO chance of a healthy properly timed (cam timing) car to have piston to valve interference. Going 90 and punching it wont make it happen, going 130 and punching it wont make it happen.

bleedEGLblue
10-27-2007, 09:00 AM
And once again...I never said anything about maintained and healthy timing belts

joecaruso
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
That's what is generally refered to as a 'ricer flyby'. When you lose a race and then speed up and pass the winning car after they have clearly won and let off, and claim victory. Usually it is frowned upon. Nice race though, an NA ATX is hard pressed to run against an 8 cylinder...even if it's a stang. Just keep it safe.

I agree. You should get a tt if you plan on doing any racing. As it is now your hard press pressed to beat a civic.

Arbalest
10-28-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree. You should get a tt if you plan on doing any racing. As it is now your hard press pressed to beat a civic.

In a few years, maybe.

But, overall, I'm not a racer, and I probably will never be one (although the twin turbos would make me feel awesome), but I get these temptations to run my car if some asshole spoiled kid in a Mustang plays with me like that, and even though I know I'll probably lose, it just burns me.

I guess that's why even I, not being the racer that I am, still want a VR-4; mainly so I can keep the kids in line.

joecaruso
10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
In a few years, maybe.

But, overall, I'm not a racer, and I probably will never be one (although the twin turbos would make me feel awesome), but I get these temptations to run my car if some asshole spoiled kid in a Mustang plays with me like that, and even though I know I'll probably lose, it just burns me.

I guess that's why even I, not being the racer that I am, still want a VR-4; mainly so I can keep the kids in line.

There you go man VR4, keep them punks in line.

Arbalest
10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
The good thing about VR-4s is that they can keep more than kids in line. =D

hawk362
10-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Haha yeah that was my buddy and I, his stealth TT with the 15G setup, but I mean yeah its a 12 second cobra but my guys stealth with alky i believe was running up to 24 psi, i just know it was well above 20lbs of boost, but yeah def. one of the most greatest races i ever witnessed, just cuz I hate mustangs.

P.S. I know hating mustangs is a bit ignorant, but its more so the cocky drivers of the car.

Oh and those 2 girls that think their fast bcuz they beat an atx non turbo 3000GT, why don't you send them my way, bcuz I'll have fun taking them from a roll, dig, ricer flyby, highway run, however they'd like to race me, it might help shut those cocky little highschool girls up. It's probably their daddy's weekend car anways....

Arbalest
10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Hah. I'm in a local 3kGT group (there's like, three of us, though; sad), and I notified our VR-4 guy about it.

If for some crazy-ass odd reason you're cruising down I-24 near the KY-IL border (or the Kentucky Oaks Mall) and you see a mid-nineties generation Mustang GT, red, Kentucky (Lyon County) plates on it, black rims, and red Stang group stickers on either side/back windows, kill it for me.

If you have a 1st gen silver VR-4, it'll be even funnier, though, 'cause I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference and confuse you for me.

hawk362
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Haha I wish you knew the girls personally, I would come out there just to race them, the wager whatever gas costs from my house to their town, maybe $60 there and back including 1 time use of nitrous shot, that should cover it.

I'll just be like listen ladies, how about you fast mustang owners run a NA 3000GT automatic, just a simple V6 180 fwhp 3000GT, nothing a rwd v8 couldn't handle right??? Then watch them in my rear view mirror go whats that smell, and how did he beat us so bad??? Hey but chase is a race...

Arbalest
10-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Haha I wish you knew the girls personally, I would come out there just to race them, the wager whatever gas costs from my house to their town, maybe $60 there and back including 1 time use of nitrous shot, that should cover it.

I'll just be like listen ladies, how about you fast mustang owners run a NA 3000GT automatic, just a simple V6 180 fwhp 3000GT, nothing a rwd v8 couldn't handle right??? Then watch them in my rear view mirror go whats that smell, and how did he beat us so bad??? Hey but chase is a race...
I would have to change my pants (and that's right before having sudden heart attacks from laughing so hard). Maybe twice.

If I run into them again, I'll ask for ya. After all, it shouldn't be too hard to find them. =D

180 fwhp? I wish my 3k had that much. T_T

hawk362
10-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Throw a 55 dry shot in your car and you will have a lot more than 185 FWHP, easy along with a straight piped exhaust, that will give you big jump in power.

new2mitsu
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
If for some crazy-ass odd reason you're cruising down I-24 near the KY-IL border (or the Kentucky Oaks Mall) and you see a mid-nineties generation Mustang GT, red, Kentucky (Lyon County) plates on it, black rims, and red Stang group stickers on either side/back windows, kill it for me.

I'll be driving throug that exact area on thursday, I'll be sure to keep an eye out :)

Arbalest
10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I'll be driving throug that exact area on thursday, I'll be sure to keep an eye out :)

The mall's your best bet. I met them on a Wednesday during the school system's fall break.

Add your comment to this topic!