Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Flickering lights

mag1964
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
2000 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2

Hi everyone, Last night when I turned on my headlights they started flickering, so does the dash panel and stero lights. I got my alternator and battery tested and they both tested great. I had it tested twice same results. One thing the guy did see was a lot of build up on the battery terminal, which he cleaned up for me, it was a lot, he thought that could have caused the flickering. I bought an alternator last year used oem and got a new battery. What else could be the problem causing the lights to flicker? I hate to go to a dealer and get taken advantage of being a woman. please help...Thanks...:banghead: :shakehead

amigo-2k
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
maybe the alt is putting out to much and is overloading the system and is cooking the battery?

Or there is a relay that is on its way out that needs to be replaced.

Or if you have a trailer harness try to unplug it.

Or there is one of your light that is causing a short and the socket needs to be cleaned up.

or the ground to the body is dirty.

I can't say I've read a flickering light post before, so I'm just guessing ...

trooperbc
10-25-2007, 11:56 PM
is this flickering only at idle, or is it all the time? when you rev the engine, does the flickering go away?

when it is flickering, what is the volt meter doing?

//bc

mag1964
10-26-2007, 11:55 AM
is this flickering only at idle, or is it all the time? when you rev the engine, does the flickering go away?

when it is flickering, what is the volt meter doing?

//bc

The flickering starts when I turn on the head lights as well as when I brake at a stop light. When I rev the engine it does go away.

igneous
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Your alternator belt is bad ` ;^( ~

mag1964
10-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Your alternator belt is bad ` ;^( ~

Got the belt check, it's not that. Did notice the tensioner a little lose though. Ground wires appear to be ok as well.

trooperbc
10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Got the belt check, it's not that. Did notice the tensioner a little lose though. Ground wires appear to be ok as well. what do you mean the tensioner is loose? is the belt loose? a loose belt will of course affect the alternator output.

//bc

mag1964
10-26-2007, 09:29 PM
what do you mean the tensioner is loose? is the belt loose? a loose belt will of course affect the alternator output.

//bc

what I mean is the tensioner looked a little shakey while the truck was running, the belt was eyed and looked in great shape, but no one checked to see if the belt was loose. I did get the timing belt and water pump changed the earlier part of last year, but not the tensioner. Maybe I will get the tensioner changed out and replace the belt anyway, couldn't hurt huh:shakehead :wink:

trooperbc
10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
what I mean is the tensioner looked a little shakey while the truck was running, the belt was eyed and looked in great shape, but no one checked to see if the belt was loose. I did get the timing belt and water pump changed the earlier part of last year, but not the tensioner. Maybe I will get the tensioner changed out and replace the belt anyway, couldn't hurt huh:shakehead :wink:

mmmm....i think there is some confusion here, either on my part or yours. or both.

the timing belt and the timing belt tensioner you read so much about on these forums has nothing to do with the alternator. different belt. different tensioner. so the serpentine belt tensioner, the one on the outside you saw, when it goes bad what goes is the b earing, and you will start to hear some weird bearing sounds especially on cold start ups prior to it totally seizing. are you hearing any noises at start up when the lights do their flickering thing? you can check the bearing by disengaging the serp belt and simply turn the tensioner pulley and listen and feel, it'll be obvious.

//bc

Gizmo42
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
The only time I've ever had lights do that the alternator was bad. Could be your alt is failing but not completly dead. These trucks are very picky about power and any little thing thats not right will do odd things.

mag1964
10-27-2007, 06:24 AM
The only time I've ever had lights do that the alternator was bad. Could be your alt is failing but not completly dead. These trucks are very picky about power and any little thing thats not right will do odd things.

But I got the alternator and the battery tested (twice), they both were working great. So could it be as simple as the belt is bad as another person on the post pointed out. I guess I will just get it changed and see what happens. Is the belt visible or is it behind the alternator out of view? Thanks for all the help that I have received, this is a great forum. Everytime I ran into a issue with my truck, I found my answer right here. Great information that I can take to the repair shop, that way I armed and have a clue about my repairs.:grinyes:

amigo-2k
10-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I think there are two ways to check an alt? One while it is in the truck and one where you pull it out and then put it on some sorta tester that will put it underload to see if it can handle a load.

trooperbc
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
But I got the alternator and the battery tested (twice), they both were working great. So could it be as simple as the belt is bad as another person on the post pointed out. I guess I will just get it changed and see what happens. Is the belt visible or is it behind the alternator out of view? Thanks for all the help that I have received, this is a great forum. Everytime I ran into a issue with my truck, I found my answer right here. Great information that I can take to the repair shop, that way I armed and have a clue about my repairs.:grinyes:

you are still scaring me with your questions --

do you know what the alternator looks like and where it is on your vehicle? the belt is on that pulley.

pop the hood. have a look around. what do you see?

//bc

trooperbc
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM

(because we may giving you wrong info based on wrong descriptions here)

do you know what the alternator looks like and where it is on your vehicle? the belt is on that pulley.

//bc

mag1964
10-27-2007, 04:21 PM
(because we may giving you wrong info based on wrong descriptions here)

//bc

Yes I know what the alternator looks like and where it is located. The belt looks fine and is front of the alternator.

trooperbc
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes I know what the alternator looks like and where it is located. The belt looks fine and is front of the alternator. okay...what prompted my response was this :

Is the belt visible or is it behind the alternator out of view?

just trying to make certain we are all talking about the same parts, because i'm a bit confused about what you are saying.

//bc

mag1964
10-28-2007, 07:34 AM
okay...what prompted my response was this :

just trying to make certain we are all talking about the same parts, because i'm a bit confused about what you are saying.

//bc

Well sorry to confused you all, but I do know where the alternator is located and what it looks like. Just trying to figure out what else could be wrong if the alternator and battery are testing good.

Add your comment to this topic!