Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Capri XR2

Scaye
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I have an odd issue. I don't know much about cars, don't work on them, but I am pretty good at problem solving.

The car cranks like a dream, the engine sounds great, however sometimes, whenever it feels like it, the car will rev from 800rpm to 1.5rpm and usually stay there for 30 secs or less when driving and up to 4 mins when idle. If I turn the car off when it's in high rev mode, it will not start right back up, I will have to wait a min or two. I'm guessing that's due to flooding of the engine. Now if I was taking in air I don't think the idle would work sometimes and then not sometimes driving or idling. I can see a failing sensor of some type, because it's the computer doing the over revs.

When driving the car and this happens, there is little power. I can press the gas to the floor and it acts as if it didn't hear me say, "GO!" The car feels like it's close to just cutting out, and then magically it straightens out again, I'm on my way, and it's idling great at lights.

My check engine light comes on now and then, and goes back out now and then. Not sure if it's related, the mechanic I bought her from said that the check engine was emissions related, but maybe its sensor failure.

This is dangerous when on hills as no power means rolling backwards.

Add your comment to this topic!