Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rattling Noise

VBCAVMAN
10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Daughters 05 Spectra Has A Rattle In Rear That Goes Away The More You Drive It. Any Ideas From Anybody? Havent Driven It Myself As She Lives In Md. Have Heard The Noise Though. Any Ideas?

Huney1
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Without hands on advantage it will be a hard problem to disgnose because a rattle can come from a multitude of things. Is it worse on a rough road than smooth? Is the tailpipe hitting anything. How about checking the brakes. Get in the back seat and while someone drives at varying speeds on rough and smooth road listen for it. They make a stethoscope with a probe just for finding engine and other noises so get one and use it. Elementary but is anything loose in the spare tire compartment. Look under the carpet lining in the trunk.

cmhj2000
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Ya', this could be like throwing a dart without seeing or driving it ourselves. Don't forget suspension components as well.

Huney1
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
" . . . .That Goes Away The More You Drive It." Read this again and sounds like as the exhaust system heats up the rattle diminishes. Could be
something expanding moving away from what it's hitting. Take a rubber hammer and hit the tail pipe & muffler on toward the exhaust mainfold and see if you can reproduce the rattle. Hit it while it's cold and warm, *I said warm, not hot. I'd wear a thick pair of leather gloves and safety goggles and to do it right you're going to need a lift and while you're under it bump all around with the rubber hammer.

Add your comment to this topic!