Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Importing Car from U.S to Canada

ksierah
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I am looking forward to import a car from U.S and thus i require some information that could help me in the process of importing, so for this purpose is there any website that could possibly help me out in sorting out different steps involved in the process........
Thanks

Ray paulsen
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
As the Canadian dollar has soared past the weak US dollar its great news for Canadians to border shop, however I dont think buying a car is one of them " just my thoughts "
You did not mention new or used vehicle ?

1 ) USED... Simply contact your local Minestry of Transportation office they will have forms , or google MOT

2 ) NEW... Its not going to happen unless your a residence of United States as your not allowed to import new vehicles from US to Canada

ksierah
10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Sorry for that,
Iam lookin for a new car i am a Canadian resident so probably it won t be a problem for me to go in U.S and bring in a car ......I jus wanted to know if there is any website that could help me with the instructions.
Thanks
KS

Ray paulsen
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry for that,
Iam lookin for a new car i am a Canadian resident so probably it won t be a problem for me to go in U.S and bring in a car ......I jus wanted to know if there is any website that could help me with the instructions.
Thanks
KS

You can cross into US and purchase a used car, as for buying a new car its not allowed by the Mfg's for dealers to sell for export.
Example... Why have a Canadian GM dealership in Niagara Falls if all one has to is cross the border to save mega bucks

'97ventureowner
10-24-2007, 11:46 PM
You can cross into US and purchase a used car, as for buying a new car its not allowed by the Mfg's for dealers to sell for export.
Example... Why have a Canadian GM dealership in Niagara Falls if all one has to is cross the border to save mega bucks

Also, to add to this, I had always thought there were other issues as differing emissions requirements, other specs being different between CDN and American vehicles, and the fact that CDN vehicles dashes are Metric while American vehicles are Standard (non - Metric).

Ray paulsen
10-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Also, to add to this, I had always thought there were other issues as differing emissions requirements, other specs being different between CDN and American vehicles, and the fact that CDN vehicles dashes are Metric while American vehicles are Standard (non - Metric).

Your thoughts are 100% right, however the question was importing a new car and I therefore did not include a link, but here is the link for consumers how to import from US to Canada
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html and my personal thoughts, which are, when its all said and done your savings are nil along with a major paper trail headache.

'97ventureowner
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Your thoughts are 100% right, however the question was importing a new car and I therefore did not include a link, but here is the link for consumers how to import from US to Canada
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html and my personal thoughts, which are, when its all said and done your savings are nil along with a major paper trail headache.
That link pretty much sums up what I was trying to say in an earlier post, that the cost of bringing a vehicle from the US into Canada and then bringing it up to compliance to Canadian standards usually negates any savings one would expect. I remember back in the '80s having a friend who was looking at exporting a car from Canada to the US and ended up abandoning the plans after he saw the total costs involved.

Add your comment to this topic!