Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

65 Beetle won't start, crank, whirr or click- Help please

PNerves
10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Heya, new here, and I have a problem I just can't seem to sort. I have a 1965 Beetle with a 12 volt conversion. The conversion was done year and years ago. Recently I went to turn her over and got nothing- it wouldn't even try to turn and there was no clicking at all. A couple of tries and she started right up. A few days later the same thing happened- only she never started. The battery seems fine- I have good strong lights and the oil and gen lights come on on the dash. I've replaced the starter, but have not been able to swap out the bushing- I've tried, but cannot get the old one out. I've also replaced the ignition switch. Neither of those things helped. It seems no power is getting to the starter at all. She was stolen this summer and I installed a hidden switch that goes fromthe ignition switch ground to the ground on the fuse box. I disconnected that switchand put the ground back directly to the switch- nothing. I've also recently replaced the light switch dimmer. I'm completelyt stumped. Thanks!

Paul Nerves

denisond3
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
That 12 volt conversion is an unknown quantity. I wonder if there was a starter solenoid added between the postive battery cable and the starter itself? And if so, is it still working, is it still grounded to the chassis/belly pan? Also, replacing the ignition switch still leaves the wiring from the switch back to the starter. Could the 'starter engage' wire be corroded or frayed?

Rothart
10-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Under the car at the front of the transmission there is a flat ground cable that connects from the transmission case to the frame. Check to see if it is corroded or fraid. If it is fraid you want to replace it. If it is corroded, clean it of and put it back on. If it isn't there, go buy one. This is the most commonly overlooked component in the electrical system. It completes the circuit to the engine. Since the engine is insulated by the rubber engine mounts, it doesn't make ground without it. Check your fuses to make sure they are all clean. Also, there should be a red wire running to the starter solenoid on top of the starter, check that and make sure it is making a good clean connection and is firm on its contact.

PNerves
10-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I got it fixed on Saturday- it was the starter solenoid/relay. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!