What is the Best Scan Tool?

toolscanner
10-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I am looking to buy a professional grade scan tool. I'm tired of buying the AutoZone junk that don't do much more than confuse me with the vague description. So I am looking to spend $500+ on a scan tool that will "never" be obsolete (updateable) and that will give me the same results as what the mechanic will get. I know Snap On & OTC are supposed to have good scan tools, but I want to hear from others what they have experienced and feel to be a good scan tool for the price and the features it has.

diepolder5
10-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Hey man here is a place to check out

http://www.auterraweb.com/

AVNET244
04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I am looking to buy a professional grade scan tool. I'm tired of buying the AutoZone junk that don't do much more than confuse me with the vague description. So I am looking to spend $500+ on a scan tool that will "never" be obsolete (updateable) and that will give me the same results as what the mechanic will get. I know Snap On & OTC are supposed to have good scan tools, but I want to hear from others what they have experienced and feel to be a good scan tool for the price and the features it has.

For amateur god enough universal multi-brand scanners, i.e. Launch x431 (2400$) or Autoboss Star (2000$).

For experienced users ONLY OEM dealer units, i.e. Ford IDS, Renault CAN Clip, BMW GT1 and OPPS, Mitsubishi MUT-3, Honda/Accura GNA600, Nissan Consult III, Subaru Select Monitor III, MB Star Diagnose, Citroen/Peugeot Evolution PXA , GM Tech II - the prices are in range 2000-8000$. You can buy non OEM units (identical, but not original) at 1000-3000$ from www.efichip.com
OEM units much comprehensive analyzes, works with original software, means always latest updates.

wafrederick
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I know a transmission shop that has the Snap On Lotus scan tool and thier only complaint is that it is slow at startup.Snap On does not make the Brick one anymore,replaced with the Lotus and Motus.Vetronix is the best one out there and ahead of everybody.You can even program a new Chrysler computer with the Mastertech 3100.The Mastertech 3100 is $6,000.00 brand new.I boycott OTC,made by SPX.SPX is a very,very greedy company and do not stand behind their equipment.My grandfather on my father's side worked for SPX for 19 1/2 years and died of a heart attack at age 39 when my father was 13.SPX sent my grandma Rose his 20 year pin and denied her his retirement money because not enough years working for the company.She cannot do anything about it to this day although she is 80 years old now.

wafrederick
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
The Snap On Modis is very easy to use and you can get updates for it easily.If you have a problem,you can call their tech support for info.The factory scan tools are the top of the line.

car diagnosis
07-02-2010, 03:39 AM

i can supply you many kind of car diagnostic tools and car key programmer. such as for benz,bmw ford,audi...

534BC
07-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Consider going to a PC based scanner nowadays.

greasyhog
11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Consider going to a PC based scanner nowadays.

What are the better ones recommended?

534BC
11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I have decent info that we are going towards pc based tools and will soon be on the same level as factory scanners. Right now we aren't even close to factory level.

CINELLImotorsports
12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I have just about all the dealer level laptop scanners in stock right now.. if anyone needs anything dealer specific.. even parts ETC's and Workshop Installation System guides. PM if you guys need anything

Add your comment to this topic!