Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiring in 85 Riv interior

jase386
10-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Does anyone have access to a manual or actually own a 79-85 Riv with the interior lighting package which has the courtesy lights and reading lights for the backseat? My Riv didnt come with these, but i found some and bought them and want to wire them in. i need to know what to use as a power source for them. since the courtesy lights will need to turn on and off with the overhead light, and the reading light will need power all the time....

help.... anyone??:attention

maxwedge
10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
You will need a factory manual here or try autozone.com, repair guides there are some body wiring diagrams available.

trapped
10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi there,

Every GM car I've ever worked on (and that's a lot) that uses the metal door-jamb switches uses "negative-control" for the courtesy lights. This means that the orange lead to each bulb is hot all the time, and the switches ground the black to complete the circuit. Therefore, a combo-light can use the regular hot feed for the courtesy and just needs a ground to the body for the readling light switch.

Mark
:smokin:

jase386
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for your reply, when i have time ill have to look at it and see whats going on. i figure ill steal power from the overhead light.

Add your comment to this topic!