Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Testors Model Master attacking Plastikote primer??!!

Hawk312
10-22-2007, 09:52 PM
I have no other explantion for it. I prepared the body as I normally would with Plastikote white primer. I wet sanded, and then sprayed the body with a coat of Testors Custom Laquer "Daytona Yellow" paint. I noticed it seemed very rough and speckled, so I tried wetter coats. After about 5 minutes, the entire body and hood were rough like 80 grit sandpaper! The only other time I have seen something like this is with some of the new Revell C6 kits from China with the white plastic. It looks just like what these look like after being sprayed with duplicolor. Has anyone seen this? I know it is not the plastic, because the body is from an early 90`s `69 Corvette, and the hood is from the brand new `68 Corvette kit.
I`ve never had problems with Testors Custom Laquers, and usually give great results.

rsxse240
10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
only thing I can think of is that the plastikote primer is enamel based, and the lacquer attacked that, and has nothing to do with the plastic.

I NEVER use enamel or acrylic based primers after finding out that not all primers are safe with all paints. after all, they are still paints, and are still carried in the same bases as the regular colors and clears.

I've started using duplicolor automotive non sanding primer, and some stuff from a company in the UK called U-POL. if sprayed in light coats the U-POL stuff lays down nice and smooth, or you can spray it a little heavier on "ghosting" lines to fill it in, and sand it down.

Hawk312
10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
only thing I can think of is that the plastikote primer is enamel based, and the lacquer attacked that, and has nothing to do with the plastic.

I NEVER use enamel or acrylic based primers after finding out that not all primers are safe with all paints. .

Actually, I`m using Plastikote`s laquer primer. It is the same stuff I used on the Camaro in my sig, which I also used Testors Custom Laquer on. I guess my concern is that there is something different with this yellow color, maybe not related to primer/color incompatibility.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Get a box of white plastic spoons at the grocery store and do a spoon test. One w/PK primer and the yellow, one w/just the yellow, one w/a different primer and the yellow to find out for yourself what's the main culprit. Testors lacquer is very mild, it shouldn't react w/other paints, it could be a bad can of paint.

p9o1r1sche
10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I recently got what I suspect to be a bad can of MM lacquer paint. I stripped the part and repainted twice, with the same results. I used Duplicolor primer on a white metal part, which came out with a smooth finish, as expected, let it dry overnight, then sprayed the MM lacquer on top and it came out wrinkled, even though I have used this combo before. I ended up trying another can of the same color and it worked fine.

Add your comment to this topic!