Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Venture fires won't start

aniles
10-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Wife was driving, Van stalled, she restarted it, drove on the highway about 4 miles, it made a noise, stalled. When I first turned it over, I immediately thought it was timing. I have had multiple mechanics tell me the timing seldom is an issue for these engines (3400). I was told to change the plugs wires, coils, and module. Done it ran but sounded like a box of broken dishes. I tore it down to look at the timing. It looked to be on, put it back together, while I was there I changed both crank sensors and the cam sensor. Then I was told the fuel pump can back pressure and give these same symptoms, changed it, still nothing. Tore the engine down again and changed the timing, just because I couldn't allow that to be the problem. Car turns over, acts like it wants to run but won't, it's firing but sounds like it's mis firing. I rechecked the wires and plugs. Had it in the shop they told me it gives no codes. Infact they swore it was timing.........help?

dj1111
10-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm sure it can't be this simple but my wife had similar problems with our van. Stalled on her, then there after sounded like it wants to start but wouldn't. But it never sounded like a box of broken dishes as you stated. What it ended up being was the electronic idle control valve was gunked up. Same thing happened to my Saturn months earlier. Removed the valve body, gave it all a good cleaning and we were good to go in both cases.

maxwedge
10-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Welcome to AF. How did you change timing? I'd take off the frt valve cover and make sure all the rockers are moving when cranking. Also, are you sure you have proper fuel pressure?

aniles
11-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Welcome to AF. How did you change timing? I'd take off the frt valve cover and make sure all the rockers are moving when cranking. Also, are you sure you have proper fuel pressure?I changed out the chain and gears

16th hippy
11-06-2007, 12:43 AM
i've seen a few times where a clogged fuel filter will still give you a pressure reading, but just have almost no flow(volume). i didn't see if u changed the filter, but worth mentioning

rockwood84
11-22-2007, 11:29 PM
iac gunked up its right above the tps clean it gently don't scrape the bore or piston. when these get gunked they can make a motor do some wierd things.

Add your comment to this topic!