1989 taurus stalling when warm-HELP

bigfartter
10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a 1989 taurus that stalls when warm and wont start up until it is cool.Then it runs fine until it gets warms again. Car runs good and then stalls without warning. Any help would be great as for I am stumped. I did notice that the coil wire has arched and burnt the wire on the boot,could this be the problem? Also the engine light comes on just before it stalls.Please help!

shorod
10-21-2007, 10:24 PM
If you have a coil wire, or any other spark plug wires, that appear worn or damaged, replace them and see if it fixes your other problems. The car needs them anyway, assuming you plan to keep the car.

If that doesn't fix the stalling, you'll want to check the fuel pressure the next time is stalls warm. It's possible that you have a fuel pump that fails when warm.

-Rod

bigfartter
10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks I will try that and let you know the outcome

tripletdaddy
10-24-2007, 04:38 AM
I think Shorod has a good beat on your problem, especially that suspiciously burnt wire. FWIW, your mentioning of the coil reminded me of a similar problem with my Dodge pickup whose coil was fine until it got warm. It had an internal wire break that would only be a problem when it got warm enough. Actually, I recall there was oil leaking from it from the secondary (heavy, booted) wire hole and have had to replace two on this vehicle. These things will also crack, giving problems. So I could start it when cold, but would stall when it got warm enough. I can't remember how long it would run before it shut off. That's too long ago to remember. Hope you get her. Report back your joy or frustration for all of us to benefit or to continue to help.

bigfartter
10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
it was the coil and wire thanks for all your help you saved me lots of headache

Add your comment to this topic!